Tired of the damned like/tweet/share, etc., pop ups!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a way to disable the idiotic like, tweet, g+1, pin it, submit, and share pop ups that materialize at the top of each new thread/page that I open on SB forums? It is annoying as hell to have to wait for those icons to fill out the top of the page before I can scroll down to read the posts. This is a clear case of more not being better. Are SB users really not content to just read the posts and reply on the thread, and feel they have to also use one of the other social media?

By request, here's my custom ABP filter rules that currently seem to get hits:

Code:
scubaboard.com##TD[style="width:130px;background-color:#0c74a7;vertical-align:top;text-align:center;"]
scubaboard.com###sidebar_button
scubaboard.com###fb_headerbox
scubaboard.com###bop5msotng

I have a few more installed, but those seem to be outdated and might not be useful any more:
Code:
scubaboard.com##IMG[src="http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/misc/facebook_login.gif"]
scubaboard.com##IMG[src="http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/misc/facebook_login.gif"]
scubaboard.com##.fb_edge_widget_with_comment.fb_iframe_widget
scubaboard.com###\5f __plusone_0
The top two are actually two distinct rules, the board somehow seems to insist on completing the URL, thus making them identical :confused:

Thank you, I will try Ad Block Plus. I wonder whose bright idea it was to put all of the social media links at the top of the thread pages? IMHO those things are a big disservice to those of us who are trying to quickly read through the posts.

Thank you, I will try Ad Block Plus. I wonder whose bright idea it was to put all of the social media links at the top of the thread pages? IMHO those things are a big disservice to those of us who are trying to quickly read through the posts.

Glad you like it. It's also a big SERVICE to those who wish to easily SHARE the site.

Enjoy. :)

Yeah, what a HUGE disservice! I mean, next thing you know they'll raise the membership fee! Oh, um... nevermind.

But seriously, while I'd probably not "Share" SB posts on my FB page, etc if others want to, that's cool. Sure the buttons take a second or two to load, but it's not that big a deal. And, as has been mentioned above, there are workarounds if having those buttons there really ruins your day.

:cool2:

Many people are sharing SB on Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest, Tumblr, etc... Why wouldn't we encourage this?

They may take a second or two to load, since they're not loading locally (which would make it faster), they come from sharethis... However... they don't hamper the page load, as they DO load last...

And the easiest workaround (FWIW) is the little wheel on your mouse. Scroll down, and they magically disappear... :)

And the easiest workaround (FWIW) is the little wheel on your mouse. Scroll down, and they magically disappear... :)[/QUOTE]

Ah, if only it was that easy! The only problem is that I could not scroll down until the little buggers completed their load sequence, and my screen was effectively frozen until they loaded. That is the reason I asked for a way to disable them, and received a work around in the first couple of posts. I guess I did not make it clear that I did try to scroll down before I made the complaint? I thought that would be understood. Also, I do understand that there are SB users that do want to share via the numerous "social media" links, and I have no problem with that. However, when pressed for time, I would rather be reading the posts than waiting for the social media icons to load. I am not interested in getting in an argument about the pros and cons of the "links", so I am happy to drop this issue now that I have a work around. OK?

Many people are sharing SB on Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest, Tumblr, etc... Why wouldn't we encourage this?

They may take a second or two to load, since they're not loading locally (which would make it faster), they come from sharethis... However... they don't hamper the page load, as they DO load last...

They don't load fast for me ... 10-15 seconds to load a page, on average. Then again, my home desktop is six years old, which is ancient by computer standards.

Guess I need to look into Adblock Plus and figuring out all this code posted above ... thank you to those who posted it ... from an old fart who's neither a programmer nor a social media butterfly ... hopefully it'll improve the load times on this old computer of mine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom