Tired of the damned like/tweet/share, etc., pop ups!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob... I have created a usergroup called, "No Social Bookmarks" - you can join from your UserCP and Permission Groups. Then they won't be there anymore.
News worthy...!! :thumb:

Another reality is this. Most every site on the internet has options to SHARE articles etc on Facebook, twitter, or whatever... It's called "Social media." Facebook is the #2 website on the internet. Twitter is #8. So it's clear that the VAST MAJORITY of internet users DO use Facebook or other Social Media. In fact. ScubaBoard is social media :wink:

Social media is not the same as social networking though. Facebook is a social networking site and not much else, which I don't care for at all. Not even Twitter is a real social networking site - it's a microblogging platform. The social networking aspect is merely a side effect, one which I also don't care for, even though I use Twitter.

As far as I'm concerned, if I wanted to share something on FB or Twitter or anywhere else, I'd go there and post the link there. I don't need a shortcut button offered by the originating site. Especially not if it causes that site to load slower :yuck:

The reality is... 99% of the daily traffic either supports SB by being a supporting member, or views the ads (which support SB) or both...

Another reality is this. Most every site on the internet has options to SHARE articles etc on Facebook, twitter, or whatever... It's called "Social media." Facebook is the #2 website on the internet. Twitter is #8. So it's clear that the VAST MAJORITY of internet users DO use Facebook or other Social Media. In fact. ScubaBoard is social media :wink:

If you don't like Facebook, then don't click the button.

Not every function will make every user happy. Can you opt out of everything that you don't like on every website you visit? Somehow I doubt that.

This little social bookmark function makes it very easy for those who wish to share media able to do so. For the 6 users who find it so annoying, I am sorry that you find it that way.

---

Bob... I have created a usergroup called, "No Social Bookmarks" - you can join from your UserCP and Permission Groups. Then they won't be there anymore.

don't get me wrong....i couldn't care less what buttons and other things you put on the site, i have my ways of getting them out of sight...but please don't hold it against me that i chose to block them, and yes i am talking about that big black banner that all of a sudden appeared

"don't click on it" is not going to cut it because its not the icon itself that bother me is the mess on the page
i like a website to be plane and simple not cluttered with all kinds of things that i will never use
and yes i can remove most of the unwanted stuff from any website

ScubaBoard - Mozilla Firefox_2012-06-24_13-21-43.jpgScubaBoard - Mozilla Firefox_2012-06-24_13-22-34.jpg

don't get me wrong....i couldn't care less what buttons and other things you put on the site, i have my ways of getting them out of sight...but please don't hold it against me that i chose to block them, and yes i am talking about that big black banner that all of a sudden appeared "don't click on it" is not going to cut it because its not the icon itself that bother me is the mess on the page i like a website to be plane and simple not cluttered with all kinds of things that i will never use and yes i can remove most of the unwanted stuff from any website View attachment 127865View attachment 127866

Absolutely. I've coughed up somewhere around 10 years worth of membership for the Voldemort (oops - "She who shall not be named") lawsuit, and it's more than a little insulting to be slapped with a big black banner calling me a cheapskate for blocking ads.

There needs to be a way to turn that off.

edit: Nevermind. It was quicker to write a filter than continue beating the topic.

flots.

Last edited:
... I have created a usergroup called, "No Social Bookmarks" - you can join from your UserCP and Permission Groups. Then they won't be there anymore.

Thank you.
I joined the group and pages are loading around 20 sec faster. My SB visits have dropped dramatically in the last week or so simply because I got tired of waiting for the pages to load. I realize that some folks like that stuff but I'm not one of them. I just don't see the logic of upgrading a site and then adding a bunch of stuff that will slow it right back down. Again, thanks for the opt out. Now I can get back to enjoying all my usual threads instead of 20 sec of cursing between pages.

oh man, my computer is happy again. I truly thank you Howard!

Howard,

I would like to thank you for the work around compromise. While I do use FB and have "liked" SB on there, my internet is tragically slow down here. It is working fast right now and according to Speedtest.net is 0.18Mbbs on download and 0.05mbps on upload. And tonight is a GOOD night. This will help. Perfect compromise.

This site is still so tedious to use I could barely read and reply to this thread. And as I have said since the changeover, the rest of the internet is fine!!! :(

Howard,
Thank you. I have just "joined" the No Social network group and it appers the SB pages are loading faster.

Don't get me wrong, I understand all the ads and social stuff support the free SB. But it was taking 20 to 30 seconds to load each page. While the page was loading it was frozen (I could not scroll).

I'm running Windows 7 32 bit, 2.9 GHz with 3 GB of memory, so it's not a bad computer.
Also, I have high speed broadband Internet.

I was getting so frustrated with the slow pages I was not reading many threads because I just did not want to deal with the slow loading pages.

Hopefully this works a lot better.

Thanks again

Rhodesaz

---------- Post Merged at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Howard,
Thank you. I have just "joined" the No Social network group and it appers the SB pages are loading faster.
Don't get me wrong, I understand all the ads and social stuff support the free SB. But it was taking 20 to 30 seconds to load each page. While the page was loading it was frozen (I could not scroll).
I'm running Windows 7 32 bit, 2.9 GHz with 3 GB of memory, so it's not a bad computer.
Also, I have high speed broadband Internet.
I was getting so frustrated with the slow pages I was not reading many threads because I just did not want to deal with the slow loading pages.
Hopefully this works a lot better.
Thanks again
Rhodesaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom