Titanium or Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having had both, I prefer the Titanium blades. The stainless ones don't seem to hold an edge as long.

The cheap steak knives with the tip broken/sawed off work decent, but if you try to pry anything underwater (scallops come to mind), they'll bend easier than the other knives. They do the job well though.

On another note, I keep a pair of EMT shears and a Ti knife on me when I dive. If it's fishing line or a net, the EMT shears work better than the knife, IMHO.

It depends what you want a knife for. If it's for show then get a really glitzy titanium one. If it's for use, get a carbon steel folding knife and clean it directly after every dive. Keep the blade covered in Vaseline to put off corrosion. Then if you need a sharp edge you'll have it.

I can recall just one dive when I used a knife, and even then shears would have been better.

A knife is the most common thing lost by divers.
and the risk of loss directly relates to the level of muppet holding the thing. I for one am not a muppet :wink:

I don't know which is worse however the people who buy 'glitzy' knives for show, or the ones who presume those with glitzy knives have them just for show :/

As for steak knives hehe - nice idea! certainly will save you a penny or two. Prying scallops open underwater? ..I'm curious as to why? ... for eating on the go while tech diving?

It depends what you want a knife for. If it's for show then get a really glitzy titanium one. If it's for use, get a carbon steel folding knife and clean it directly after every dive. Keep the blade covered in Vaseline to put off corrosion. Then if you need a sharp edge you'll have it.

I can recall just one dive when I used a knife, and even then shears would have been better.

if you can find something that suits your needs and looks bad A$$, then whats the problem?

A folding knife usually requires two hands; sometimes all you have available is one hand.

But it's also a question of accessibility. I keep two knives on my BC, one high, one low, one left, one right. That way I can probably reach one of them. As they're folding they're easy to store in a bungee or a pocket. The ones I currently use are from Trident and have a deeply serrated and razor sharp concave blade, so that even a thick rope will be "trapped" by the blade and cut through. They are well enough designed that I can open them with one ungloved hand.

If you have a non-folding knife it needs to be in a sheath somewhere, which tends to make it less accessible. Often two hands are needed to remove it. The worst possible place for a knife is strapped to the lower leg, where it is both difficult to reach if you're entangled, and is prone to causing entanglement itself. I recall a friend getting caught by monofilament wrapped around his knife! The joke was that because of the line he couldn't get the knife out.

But a lot depends on the detailed design. As you're a manufacturer do you make knives? Can I see them somewhere?

I'd rather stay away from the term 'bad ass' as I'm no underwater warrior (at least on most days:wink:) however the point is true. I am a visual guy and like things to look nice, it comes down to personal taste but if it's sexy looking then cool - however while I won't override practicality for looks I think with what's available you can get one that fits both criteria.

Also I don't know how easy they are to open with gloves, but gloveless I have no problem opening a folding knife one handed, and certainly having one on the end of a bungy tucked away in a pocket as a back up seems a good idea. However as mentioned by Dannobee, I think the best back up would be a set of EMT shears (titanium of course). Heck, even a pair of small wire cutters from your grandpa's tool box would be ideal - and they'll cut anything from string and line to fish hooks and toe nails even when rusty lol.

I hear the leg isn't the best location for a knife many times, though I've never had a problem, but then I don't like hamburgers so can reach it easily. It is definately a potential for entanglement however. So with my new knife I'll be looking to place it on my BCD strap.

...Prying scallops open underwater? ..I'm curious as to why? ... for eating on the go while tech diving?

Have you seen the SIZE of some of the scallops here in California? :eyebrow: A full bag of 'em gets heavy!

Have you seen the SIZE of some of the scallops here in California? A full bag of 'em gets heavy!

hehe, no, not been diving there. While I am quite partial to the odd scallop, I've never had one 'on the go' lol. That is fast food, and a damn site healthier lol - it did make me wonder haha. So yeah you'll need a tough knife for that! (or at least a thin sharp one to cut the 'tendon').

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom