Titanium tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
How do they solve the inherent problems with O2 and Titanium?

That is a damn good question.

Russians have always had a different perspective on engineering and risk.

Phil

Crawl79:
... finding shipwrecks and government agencies such as NOAA.

I hadn't realized that NOAA or the other government agencies were lost.

Are you sure we want to find them? I agree NOAA is fairly useful, but, some of the
others may be desirable to leave lost. ;-)

Owen

Phil1111:
There are Russian titanium tank manufactures that have been supplying ti 02 tanks to climbing expeditions to Everest, k2, Kanchenjunga, etc., for over 20 years. Used Russian titanium tanks are commonly found in Nepal. There are about a 100 at the Everest base camp,garbage dump, help yourself.

I don't know who the manufactuer of these tanks is. But if your serious try the Climbing Federation of Russia. Naturally these tanks would not carry any DOT cert. You would have to fill them with your own compressor.

Titanium is an interesting metal. Not really usefull for scuba applications, aside from any price constraints.

Phil

Here is the photos of Russian titanium tanks http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=36654 , they rated 3600 psi for oxygen and about 4.5 Ibs per tank, the tank used a tiny check valve at the end of screw head play as output valve when the special regulator screw on the head there have a pin on the regulator connector will press and open the valve to supply the high pressure oxygen to the regulator and can be control the gas flow in precisely.

Arcaporale:
Any one ever heard of Van der Waals forces? I'd imagine this would have an affect on the feasability of the 40,000psi coke can scuba tank. Also a regulator would have to engineered to handle this kind of pressure.

There's also a fundamental problem with the regulator 1st stage - adiabatic cooling. To avoid condensation problems the air in the cylinder would have to be ultra-super-dry. Even so you'd probably have to use a triple or quadruple regulator system, dropping the pressure in stages.

Mauifish:
I am having the gills of a white tipped reef shark surigicaly implanted into my neck, won't need a tank anymore. My girl friend told me that since I am going to become a freak, she wants the doctor to put a blow hole in the back of my head so that when I go down on her---well you get the idea!!

i rember a while ago that i heard on tv that the us government was working on a sythetic fish gill so you could breath watter...it could happen 1 day..

Go for it we could use the business!!!

Remember the lighter the tank the more of something else you have to wear. Diving is a balancing act.

Garrobo:
What, like thousands? I had a guy tell me that someone had manufactured them at one time and that they only weighed about 8 pounds. I'd pay a thou if it only weighed that much, maybe more.
Any weight saved on tanks would have to be worn in lead to keep you down. Why are you looking at Ti tanks? Increased PSI or some other factor?

Garrobo:
Well maybe it could be alloyed with some other type of steel to remove the notchiness. HUH? I'm looking for something lighter than aluminum. Those 40# tanks are getting tough on these old bones.

Instead of going lighter, here is an idea for going smarter...

Tank-N-Tow

I have seen a few make-shift ones like this, but nothing this well manufactured!
:monkeydan

dschulte:
Instead of going lighter, here is an idea for going smarter...

Tank-N-Tow

I have seen a few make-shift ones like this, but nothing this well manufactured!
Very nicely put together and perfect for long trips down south... Can I get this in a redhead version??? :D

shadragon:
Very nicely put together and perfect for long trips down south... Can I get this in a redhead version??? :D

Sure but that is would be the LX Supreme model!

Back
Top Bottom