Titanium tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy Bouwman:
Can I be the man with the golden reg? The mouthpiece wouldn't be so comfy, but you could bite it and it would have your own personal teeth marks, so no one would ever take it from you.
Seacure accomplishes the same thing...albeit...definitely with alot less style than 24k.

I see a new website in the works.... pimpyourgear.com

OK, now that all the house comedians have applied for the job, now it's my turn. What I was getting at is something to eliminate the weight when getting ready to get back on the boat. I can see handing over your weight belt and diving without a wetsuit but the empty AL80 goes about 35 pounds if I'm not mistaken. If that could be reduced to 8 pounds it would make it a lot easier for an old fart like myself to get back up the ladder. Not much you could do about the weights on entry though so you'd be stuck with the heavy entry especially when using the DUI weight system which I use. Of course you could stick with Gucci dives where they jump in the water and take off all your stuff for you. Or how about the boat people picking you up and throwing you off the side on entry. I guess there are less costly ways of getting around the problem.

Garrobo:
OK, now that all the house comedians have applied for the job, now it's my turn. What I was getting at is something to eliminate the weight when getting ready to get back on the boat. I can see handing over your weight belt and diving without a wetsuit but the empty AL80 goes about 35 pounds if I'm not mistaken. If that could be reduced to 8 pounds it would make it a lot easier for an old fart like myself to get back up the ladder. Not much you could do about the weights on entry though so you'd be stuck with the heavy entry especially when using the DUI weight system which I use. Of course you could stick with Gucci dives where they jump in the water and take off all your stuff for you. Or how about the boat people picking you up and throwing you off the side on entry. I guess there are less costly ways of getting around the problem.

I think someone already said it. I bought a HP80, it weights 28 lbs and is neg 2 0r 3 empty so you do not need as much weight either as with the AL80's. So it lightens you up some. Then you could always use a block and tackle and a big hook to pull you out of the water!:D:D

Pass your kit to someone on the boat, you're not going to get much lighter than an HP80 and still have some reasonable gas. I don't think Ti tanks wouldn't be that much lighter in the end. Yes it is a fairly lightweight metal, but you would have to use a fair bit thicker walls than steel, thinner than aluminum tho. The cost is rediculous, it's one of the most plentiful elements on the planet, but it's a major ***** to process, which is what makes it so pricey.

nadwidny:
Larry Elsevier, when he had a shop in Bellingham, Washington, brought some in from Russia around 1992. The details are a bit fuzzy now but I seem to remember they were around 150 cu.ft and had a working pressure of 4500psi. Cost was around $1200US.

Fred Brown from TAM dive(???) had a set then as well.His were 164 cu ft that I remember.Damn long tanks!

I only know that Ti tanks are sometimes used at very high altitude for climbing. I read about it in Alexander Bookrev's book about his adventures climbing Everest, K2 etc. I recall he purchased them in bulk from a Russian maker before each expedition. (Bookrev died on an avalaunche on K2 a few years ago). The tanks were probably left behind when they used them up (too heavy to bring down from high ele.). Sorry not much help beyond this.

There are Russian titanium tank manufactures that have been supplying ti 02 tanks to climbing expeditions to Everest, k2, Kanchenjunga, etc., for over 20 years. Used Russian titanium tanks are commonly found in Nepal. There are about a 100 at the Everest base camp,garbage dump, help yourself.

I don't know who the manufactuer of these tanks is. But if your serious try the Climbing Federation of Russia. Naturally these tanks would not carry any DOT cert. You would have to fill them with your own compressor.

Titanium is an interesting metal. Not really usefull for scuba applications, aside from any price constraints.

Phil

Phil1111:
There are Russian titanium tank manufactures that have been supplying ti 02 tanks to climbing expeditions to Everest, k2, Kanchenjunga, etc., for over 20 years.

How do they solve the inherent problems with O2 and Titanium?

I am having the gills of a white tipped reef shark surigicaly implanted into my neck, won't need a tank anymore. My girl friend told me that since I am going to become a freak, she wants the doctor to put a blow hole in the back of my head so that when I go down on her---well you get the idea!!

Back
Top Bottom