To backup or not and with what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.P.

Reaction score
Still new to dive and I have some configuration questions:

I own a Nitek Duo (wrist mount), my reg configuration only has a SPG on it (for streamlining - I do not like big console).

I'm going on a live aboard soon and I was wondering if I should bring a backup computer in case mine fails. I wouldn't want to be sitting on the deck while everybody else is diving.

Do you think I need a backup?
If so what should I buy? I was thinking a cheap backup computer or a dive watch. By the way I will be diving Nitrox so I would need a nitrox computer.

Let me know,
Op

If you use your tables, plan your dive and dive your plan, you can live without a computer. Although it is nice to have a pooter !!!
Since you already are using a spg, whynot just buy yourself an inexpensive bottom timer?

O.P.:
If so what should I buy? I was thinking a cheap backup computer or a dive watch. By the way I will be diving Nitrox so I would need a nitrox computer.
Back-up is always a good idea.

If you prefer a computer, you can either get a full-size back-up computer or a watch-sized one like the Dive Rite Nitek Plus or Suunto Mosquito/Stinger. I'd go with the Dive Rite as you already use one and the algorith is the same (2 mix Nitrox, 1st 21% to 50% @ 1.4 ata, 2nd 21% to 99% at 1.6 ata). I have the Nitek Plus, it works quite well and has the advantage of the small size which makes easy to wear next to your Duo as well as on land. One less piece of equipment on deck to worry about.

The alternative, as The Kracken pointed out, is a gauge and table combo. That can either be a dedicated dive gauge as Uwatec's, or again one the size of a watch like Suunto's D3 or various offerengs from Citizen displaying depth and time either analog or digitally. I have a Citizen Aqualand Duplex that I like a lot, it has two digital display windows, the upper for depth and the lower for time (and temperature). Get a set of Nitrox tables to go with any of them and you're set for dive planning and bailout.

I dive with 2 computers, 1 console and 1 wrist, I like the redundancy. I still carry my tables and know how to use it. If you are talking about just carrying a backup in case your primary fails,,,what about the profiles from your previous dives that day? Carry both on all dives. Never share a dive computer with a buddy, you should be logging your profile only!

O.P.:

If you can afford a backup pooter.... why not. But unfortunately I can't afford such, so I just check that I still have enough battery power, and bring a watch.

Benny

yeah but what about a depth gauge?

Land Locked:
I dive with 2 computers, 1 console and 1 wrist, I like the redundancy. I still carry my tables and know how to use it. If you are talking about just carrying a backup in case your primary fails,,,what about the profiles from your previous dives that day? Carry both on all dives. Never share a dive computer with a buddy, you should be logging your profile only!

If I buy a backup computer, I would dive with it every time. I would just attach it to my harness. I wouldn't buy it to leave it on the boat.
What kind of cheap computer are out there? Any recommendations? My LDS is probably having a rental equipment sale in the next month and if the price is right, I might be my backup then. Thoughts?

Some kind of backup system is always a good idea for an expensive dive vacation.

If all you use is a depth gauge, you will want a backup depth gauge. If all you use is tables, you will want to bring a backup set, in case you break or lose yours.

If you dive with a computer, some kind of backup system is warranted. It can consist of a backup depth gauge and a set of tables. Or it can consist of another computer.

If you backup system is 2 computers, you don't need to wear them both at the same time. The main idea is to have a backup available in case your main computer fails. Of course, if you are not wearing them both, then you need to plan your repetitive dive properly, if the computer fails on the first of 2 dives.

The Kracken:
If you use your tables, plan your dive and dive your plan, you can live without a computer. Although it is nice to have a pooter !!!
Since you already are using a spg, whynot just buy yourself an inexpensive bottom timer?

I dont think you understood the question.

What does an SPG have to do with a backup system for a computer? Nothing.

caveseeker7:
Back-up is always a good idea.

This is exactly right.

This notion of backing systems up with redundant or auxiliary systems has been the major contribution of cave divers to all scuba diving over the past several decades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom