To backup or not and with what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.P.:
? My LDS is probably having a rental equipment sale in the next month and if the price is right, I might be my backup then. Thoughts?

Maybe you could rent an alternate for the trip. used form the shop depnds on its condition - obviously - but you could see what you are getting. There are probably a lot of old hockey pucks aound for cheap - Genesis, Oceanic.

I just started diving with 2 computers (one console and one wrist) and it paid off big time on my last dive trip when my primary failed in the middle of the dive. Both of my computers are Oceanic. I wanted to stay with the same brand and not to worry about one computer beign more/less conservative than the other one.
I also now always carry an extra wrist watch and a depth gauge and of course my tables... just in case....

O.P.:
If I buy a backup computer, I would dive with it every time. I would just attach it to my harness. I wouldn't buy it to leave it on the boat.
What kind of cheap computer are out there? Any recommendations? My LDS is probably having a rental equipment sale in the next month and if the price is right, I might be my backup then. Thoughts?
Currently I carry a backup SPG and depth guage in a console, along with a watch in case my Air Integrated computer (Cobra) dies. Having the extra High Pressure console is a pain, however. I'm thinking that I might just disconnect it and leave it on the boat. If the computer dies during the dive, abort the dive and ascend safely (monitor you're buddies guages if needed). When you get back on board, grab a wrench and plug in your spare SPG and computer (or depthguage/Bottom timer).

In the Suunto line, (and if price is a criteria) I would recommend the Gekko as a backup computer, as it's relatively inexpensive and is a nice little Nitrox ready computer. If you want a computer with a Guage Mode capability (i.e. strictly a Bottom Timer and Depth Guage) you might consider the Suunto D3.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom