to diffuse or not to diffuse ...that is the question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I see...
this is pretty far from the crystal clear water we've got here in italy... anyway I've got the message about backscattering and agree that's the only way to remove it.
At the same time I would recommend a mixed use of incresed ISO sensitivity toghether with smaller aperture values.
That could help in keeping the camera steady and while focusing.
the overall picture noise will be increased, but, in these light condition, I think it's not the biggest problem in terms of pictures' quality isn' t it?
thanks for your reply

Heheh.. yah Eya,
Vis here is considered "Good" if it's 15-20'... green water... as you see in the photos..

I haven't yet tried it ISO setting higher than 100.. but was/am going to try the settings up to 400 which I'm told you can do with a digital without "Much" negative scatter...

Strobe placement will also minimize backscatter but usually on closer shots...
Anyway, it's a combination of various settings, like everything else... a balance of f-stops, speed, ISO and junk in the water.. up here at least...

Heheheh.. have a good one in the Clear waters.. We do get vis, actually up in Canada with vis at 50-125+ but it's usually darker, not the "tropical waters" of the warmer areas.

Hope that helps...

Ps Good web site... great dolphin shot too... really like that one...

WOW everyone thanks so much for the info ! I'm so excited about taking pics ! Didn't get to take them last weekend as planned ....but am going soon! Aaron your shots are great! what are you white balancing on? And Mr. fpoole.....I must know you! we know all the same people ( I checked out your site!) and will look for you at the beach clean up this weekend!
dj

to set your white balance i just used a slate or a section of white sand. If you look online at the complete manual for your camera it explains how to use this setting just remember to change it back topside or everything will be really red

scubaaaronh:
to set your white balance i just used a slate or a section of white sand. If you look online at the complete manual for your camera it explains how to use this setting just remember to change it back topside or everything will be really red

Luckily I no longer have to worry about WB. Thanks to the 2 strobes I mount I've manually selected "sunlight" and it works fine since my strobes' temp is 5500K as well.

Scubabbbronh nice picts! I would really like to join you diving but from here ...well it takes a little time to get there ehehe

Eya, just a thought, since you have "Clear Water" you might try WB for Wide Angle shots of the landscape.... I used a red filter in Roatan and worked out well..

Of course I forgot to turn off the strobes so the close up images were red, but the filter did work fairly well... so I'm guessing WB would too at depth and especailly if you have some reefs/ships to take pictures of...

So it might be fun to try the WB on a Landscape shots where the strobe die out at 5-10'...
Just a thought..

Well personally speaking I consider Red filters good for shooting videos. Not for photography, but it's just my thought as usual.
In maldives, two weeks ago, I took some wide angle shots (look at the ship's ones) leaving my WB settings to "Sunlight" mode...and.. well, I like the blue that comes out. I have not balanced colours in post, it's the original one and it looks natural to me. Maybe iit's because if you shoot aiming at the sun above you inclue real sunlight that's closer to 5500 K.. more close than shooting from above aiming at the bottom.

Please give look at those picts, any suggestions/opinions welcome.

Yes, I see...

Here's a link or two for comparison - shot with a a red filter on it. Warning, there are a lot of them, so I tried to spare you the boredom and just linked on to these pages for a quick look-see.. (click for a slide show or larger image)

Shallow:
http://www.poolesdive.com/gallerys/0409Roatan_Single/index_3.htm

Deeper:
http://www.poolesdive.com/gallerys/0409Roatan_Single/index_7.htm

I also like the deep blue colors... so I guess it's just a matter or preference...
I like the filter, but will try the WB...

Hava good one eh?? :wink:

well
those shots look fine to me, but personally speaking I don't like that those red filters act on all the colours .. I mean they seem unnatural to me and to my eyes if compared to what I see UW.
It could easily be due to my monitor's calibration or whatever makes digital photography vs colours a real mess, but when I'm down there (expecially deeper than 15 meters) my eyes can only see blue fading into black and bright colours where my light illuminates. That's probably why I prefer not to use red filters but better strobes as far as they arrive and then deep blue.
All you're reading here is IMHO.... thanks for your shots, they're very interesting.

sportsgirl98052:
And Mr. fpoole.....I must know you! we know all the same people ( I checked out your site!) and will look for you at the beach clean up this weekend!
dj

052???
So were you at the Beach Clean up??
FYI, I sent a PM to you, but didn't get a response. Don't know if intentional or the system never send an notice... no problem either way, just sometimes it gets missed...
Anyway, IF you DID attend the beach clean up, then I 'Probably' got a photo or two..
Here's the happening above water...
Earth Day Clean up dive:
http://www.mossbaydiveclub.org/xgallerys/05KirkCleanup/index.htm
Hava good one....
frank poole

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom