To Dr. Deco: Pelagic vs. Suunto algorithms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Diving Doc:

What to do?

These are some good points. If I were stuck in such situations (underwater currents, large surface waves), I would suggest:
  • Lengthening the 10 or 15 foot safety stops beyond the five minutes generally recommended;
  • Another possibility is to stay on the surface for several minutes, or some such duration, before boarding the boat (sometimes this interval is referred to as "the hidden stop");
  • Wait for a longer surface interval on the boat and then dive for a shorter time on subsequent dives than recommended by the computer;
  • Be certain to sit down on the boat but move your arms and legs every couple of minutes (say for 20 or 30 seconds) to assist gas washout; definitely do not lay quietly or sleep
It is even a possibility that one would consider "calling it a day." This would be especially true if you do not feel so good and might believe that you have subclinical DCS. The feeling of fatigue is sometimes attributed to "silent" DCS, but there is really no proof, and the jury is still out on this one. I have not encountered this personally, but I have scientific colleagues (in altitude research) who say that test subjects have improved considerably in the couple of minutes that it required to returned them to site pressure.

Surface oxygen is also a possibility but probably not a practical alternative.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom