To knot or not to knot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope this one might help you. I tried to show it slowly so anybody can follow.
It`s perfectly adjustable so you can change size from skindiving to diving with drysuit and gloves in matter of seconds.
Works like charm and i still dive the first set of bungees for over a year now (salt and freshwater).
Make sure you have some high quality material though. Same thing applies for your reg necklace.

As for an app I use Knots3D for learning. It`s an awesome app with tons of knots nicely categorized for all sorts of purposes. All animated! Never seen something better.
Though iam not sure they will have a version for Android users. Check it out and give it a try. I found it to be very useful!
Try learning a few basic knots... they can be a life saver :) As suggested earlier you can even train on tying knots while watching TV :D
Just do them over and over and they become ingrained.
Hope i could help out a bit.

Greetings Chris

...is what it's called if it's pulled tight to form a bend. If you leave the loop open, it's called a Prussik loop :poke:

No, it's not. Its only a prusik loop if it's used as a prusik hitch. A double fisherman's knot, even before being pulled tight against itself, is still a double fisherman's knot.

Before you respond, understand what an IRATA Level 2 Rope Access Technician is. I literally live and breathe this stuff every day and while you may think it's semantics, it can be incredibly incredibly important.

I ended up doing a double overhand on the galileo computer bungee straps. Think I should remove it and use another knot?
upload_2017-5-30_15-58-5.png

Didn't do the prusik loop (or double fisherman's hitch?) because I didn't want a loop of bungee between the top of my wrist and the dive computer. I think prusik will make sense on my shearwater where there is a gap in the computer to accommodate the strap material.

The knot is a little larger than I'd like. Is that just a matter of a better tie job?

I ended up doing a double overhand on the galileo computer bungee straps. Think I should remove it and use another knot?
Nope. That's the knot I'd use as well.

understand what an IRATA Level 2 Rope Access Technician is.
I have absolutely no idea, since I don't know WTF IRATA is.

So I probably shouldn't have replied to your post.

Warning to All: All knots reduce the rated tensile strength of line, often between 50 and 75%!
Some very useful information that nobody ever told me before.
This is why I love SB in general and many of your postings in particular.

EDIT: According to a link posted by another user, the remaining strength is about 60-80%.

... EDIT: According to a link posted by another user, the remaining strength is about 60-80%.

There is a LOT of variation depending on the knot, material, braid, diameter, safety margin, and testing methodology... which led me to write "often between 50 and 75%". That is the rough average that I recall. The "safe working load" can vary from 3:1 to 10:1 depending on the application, manufacturer, and country. I see a lot of specifications that just list the average or minimum breaking strength and leaves the safety margin up to you. Lots to think about.

BTW, thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:
You mean basically splicing the strands of the fall into the standing part? Why not just do a proper splice, then?...

Not quite. A splice separates the strands of the bitter end and weaves them individually into the line over a length of several diameters. This method takes the twisted bitter-end and weaves it into 3-4 strands. Maybe a boatswain can help me out?

Edit: Eye Splice | How to tie the Eye Splice | Splicing Knots

... (On an unrelated note, I learned something just now: I didn't know that the fall is also called the bitter end. Now I know. Cool.)

Not sure if bitter-end is a Navy term or not. Come to think of it I don't know its etymology. Now look at what you've done. You know how dangerous it is to get me thinking!
Online Etymology Dictionary
:)

Last edited:
Not sure if bitter-end is a Navy term or not. Come to think of it I don't know its etymology. Now look at what you've done. You know how dangerous it is to get me thinking!
Online Etymology Dictionary
:)
Sailor term, if not a Navy term. As the line was passed through the bitt prior to tying it off, when you came to the end of the line, specifically a anchor line, you are said to have come to the bitter end.

View attachment 412118
Didn't do the prusik loop (or double fisherman's hitch?) because I didn't want a loop of bungee between the top of my wrist and the dive computer. I think prusik will make sense on my shearwater where there is a gap in the computer to accommodate the strap material.

The knot is a little larger than I'd like. Is that just a matter of a better tie job?

What are the pieces of material covering the end of the cord?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom