To lock or not to lock...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With reference to the Transport Regulations sticky, would you advise locking the case? As it is quite obvious that this is a diving bag (fin pockets on the side), I wonder if the temptation is too high for people to ignore. Is it possible to ask to get the bag checked and then lock the bag after they have manually checked it? I guess everything that can be carried on should be carried on like reg, computers etc.? I am travelling to Texas by plane and if anything goes missing, I guess that is the end of the trip unless DAN's equipment policy allows you to replace there and then.

You can go ahead and lock luggage, but odds are you'll find your locks cut off when you pick up your bags at your destination. If you find it reassuring, there's no real reason not to do it, though I do wonder if the locks themselves would make the TSA inspectors more likely to rifle through your gear. I think a wiser suggestion for preventing gear theft is to choose a bag that has no large, obvious dive company logos and to avoid features like exterior fin-pockets. The more it looks like ordinary luggage, the safer you are. Even if I were using locks, I'd be darn sure to take my reg and computer as carryon, though, and I always put my log and C-card in my carryon as well. I'm not sure about DAN's equipment policy, though I was under the impression that unless you buy their supplemental gear insurance policy only gear lost in the course of a rescue is replaced. Check with your airline, though - if they do lose your gear, you can sometimes get cash out of them for a replacement, even if your bags were simply misdirected and not just lost, if you can show them that you need the gear NOW.

[ps: if you do take your reg as carryon, make sure you get to the metal detectors with pleeeeeeenty of time to spare, because it's going to take the screeners quite a while to work out that you're not a terrorist. explosives testing will be involved ^_^]

I always take computer/camera/reg etc. in hand luggage
At most check-ins now (certainly in the smaller airports that I travel from), you have a choice - leave it unlocked (and you don't need to stay around in case they want to search it) or lock it and you stay with your bag until it is screened - the TSA people will then allow you to lock it after they have checked it before it goes to the on board.....(maybe this is just at the regional airports, but it is a good option if there are no huge lines)

If you lock it and check it your probably asking for trouble and they may not put it on the plane or they will break your lock. TSA has openned our dive luggage a number of times. One bag contained BCD's, batteries, spare regs, knives, wrenches, etc... 65#, left that alone. Other bag was stinky wet suits, fins and laundry... they went after the wet suit bag? Guess the smell shocked the dogs.

With regards to carry-on I have had no problem bringing lots of camera equipment, regs, computers, in my carry-on. I just stay near the x-ray machine as they scan it. When they start to look cross-eyed at it I just smile nicely and yell over it is dive regs and camera's. 8 times out of 10 they have just looked up smiled and shook their head yes and let it go. Other time they called a junior person over to teach them so they would know next time... if very junior person and manager not around it gets searched.

Kev

I standby as TSA searches my checked bags, then hand them the nylon ties - asking they secure the bags with them. Carry nail clippers in you carryon, so you can cut the ties off on arrival.

I carry my reg, computers, camera, masks, as much as I can in my roll-on, and it doesn't take long to go thru security. I then lock that bag once inside, as you have to gate check it at times, expecially on smaller planes. Tie orange ribbons to it to prevent someone from grabbing it by mistake after the flight.

DAN equipment insurance is a good idea, but your claim will take time and confirmation. The best you can hope for on the spot is good rental equipment.

We use plastic zip ties to 'lock' our checked dive bag. We've actually never had the zip ties cut off yet, but if TSA does, they have to put a sticker across the bag opening saying they opened the bag. The zip ties secure the bag and prevent the casual thief from exploring our bag.

Regs, computers, C-card, and dive log all go into carryon...where they are always searched.

I used a steel mesh style net on my dive gear bag, no prob's in the uk or thailand.. in Sydney the baggage handling staff tried to break into my bag, unsuccessfully. It also proved useful at customs as they are awkward to take off and it meant that out of 5 people I saw (myself inc) I was the only person not to have my bag searched. Not that I had anything to hide but I didnt want to be hanging around at customs for ages!

DiveMe:
We use plastic zip ties to 'lock' our checked dive bag. We've actually never had the zip ties cut off yet, but if TSA does, they have to put a sticker across the bag opening saying they opened the bag. The zip ties secure the bag and prevent the casual thief from exploring our bag.

Regs, computers, C-card, and dive log all go into carryon...where they are always searched.

Don't count on TSA's statement that they will reseal. They do not always do it. They didn't for my IAH-CZM trip last month. I got the silly flyer, though.

When I went over to England a couple of weeks ago, TSA checked my suitcase and as it is a Samsonite with a built in combination lock, they put in their flyer and then moved the lock around so that no-one else could get in. Only trouble was, I couldn't remember the exact combination!!! It took me a good hour of trial and error to get the case open. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom