To Nitrox or not to nitrox ,Why and how ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK so what are the advanages of NITROX? Recently I'd been diving with a partner that used NITROX. I don't what mix but the max depth for the dive was 120fsw. I dive with air. When my bottom time was at 10 min left I infromed him of that fact. He showed me his PDC it indicated he had 13 min bottom. WTF around here a NITROX costs $30.00 air is $7.00. What advantages does one get for the extra $27.? What is the NITROX advantage?

OK, I started with post #61 so I am violating a very good rule of thumb, but there are many x factors to consider to give a proper answer to the question quoted above.

Are they the same model computers, with the same personal settings? Was your buddies computer in Nitrox mode? Some divers dive Nitrox in Air Mode and supposedly consider the benefit to be a reduced chance of DCS. I have also seen Nitrox divers enter 30% into their computer for 32% gas, for various reasons.

Were you joined at the hip and horizontal the entire dive, with computers always the same depth? Perhaps he spent a little extra time below you. Was this the first dive of the day, with no late night dive for him to affect his computers calculations? If not the first dive of the day, were you similarly joined at the hip for the previous dive(s)?

The more details you give the closer to correct the answers. :idk:

I'll drop my 2 cents. I'm taking Nitrox this summer mostly because around here, there are a lot of neat wrecks deep enough where deco is necessary to see these wrecks. I know that in 2 or 3 years when I'm ready to start training for such diving, I'll need that Nitrox course to take the Advanced Nitrox/Deco/Extended Range and then onto Tri-mix if I want to do such diving.

From what I can see - it's a stepping stone to the things I want to do later on but it also seems to be knowledge that couldn't "hurt" to have. It's another tool in the bag - so to speak.

Say I do something really stupid like get remarried... chances are a honeymoon would be in a warm place with water and Bonaire is on the list. I can see where a lot of repetitive diving over a week or two - I'd want the nitrox for that.

Locally - nitrox fills are 10 bucks. So for 20 bucks on a 2 tank dive locally - that's not a monster expense compared to the rest. It's an extra 12 dollars over air or about the cost of 3 mixed drinks...

If you are diving with a group (and you want to stay with the group) is the group using EANx? If they are not then, there really is not a need for it.

There's a difference between 'need' and 'desire'

If I wanted to dive more conservatively, I could use EAN within its MOD and maintain same bottom time and surface interval as air divers in my group ...

I've never done this myself - whenever diving EAN, my group does the same ... but one diver who we've been out with in the past uses it for EVERY dive despite what the group is breathing ... he only has to keep in mind his own MOD and daily O2 exposure.

Say I do something really stupid like get remarried... chances are a honeymoon would be in a warm place with water and Bonaire is on the list. I can see where a lot of repetitive diving over a week or two - I'd want the nitrox for that.

Well, DON'T freaking do it, it is really stupid. I have done it twice and it didn't work both times. Save the money and spend it on something that you would actually enjoy for the rest of your life. You can spend the money you would save on numerous dive trips in the best destinations with a lot of $$ left over.

EAN 28 = 132' (okay, close at 1.4 MOD) Is this an issue to those trained?

Not really... it's not like you're going to immediately tox if you accidentally exceed your MOD by 3'

I have my Nitrox card for the same reason I carry a concealed weapon. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom