To snork or not to snork, that is the question:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a crap instructor to me.

strong opinions you have
become an instructor you should
the ills of the world must be cured through snorkling

@Ghost95
Northern gulf anyway. Dive flags tend to attract boats to a location directly over a divers head, because the dive flag marks where the reef, hence the snapper are located. Secondly dive flags are apparently often confused to be slalom markers for boaters to pass as close to and at as fast a speed as possible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What have you, as an INSTRUCTOR with two agencies, done to educate the obvious un- educated boaters?
* Have you engaged the boaters in conversation about the flag
* Have you printed cards with a dive flag description?
* Have you lectured to boating/fishing clubs ?
* Have you posted notices at the local Marinas ?
* Have you been struct by a power boat ?

The answer of course if NO ! It is not my job -- lets some one else do it
FYI---The some one else should be you- if not don't Bitch - take up golf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Snorkels. New divers aren't trained to snorkel any more, they are trained to breath off a tank. Water gets in their snorkel and they take a breath before clearing, because they cant find the purge button, start to choke, then panic. You'd be amazed how many divers don't understand the concept. If you've ever been in a dive shop and listened to how many people ask for "Dry" snorkels that they don't have to clear you'd be amazed.

I agree with you very accurate description of the modern diver -- Read the SCUBA board or read Marie13s exciting adventures in diving-- The board and the sport is populated with people who dive, but are not divers- there is a huge difference

According to modern training divers are exposed or acquainted with snorkels but not trained in the art of Snorkeling.-
That is a specialty that entails time for training from "Professionals" (its only $$$)

And the dive among us...

Sam Miller, 111

@Ghost95
Northern gulf anyway. Dive flags tend to attract boats to a location directly over a divers head, because the dive flag marks where the reef, hence the snapper are located. Secondly dive flags are apparently often confused to be slalom markers for boaters to pass as close to and at as fast a speed as possible.
What have you, as an INSTRUCTOR with two agencies, done to educate the obvious un- educated boaters?

Snorkels. New divers aren't trained to snorkel any more, they are trained to breath off a tank. Water gets in their snorkel and they take a breath before clearing, because they cant find the purge button, start to choke, then panic. You'd be amazed how many divers don't understand the concept. If you've ever been in a dive shop and listened to how many people ask for "Dry" snorkels that they don't have to clear you'd be amazed.

I agree with you very accurate description of the modern diver -- Read the SCUBA board or read Marie13s exciting adventures in diving-- The board and the sport is populated with people who dive, but are not divers- there is a huge difference

According to modern training divers are exposed or acquainted with snorkels but not trained in the art of Snorkeling.-
That is a specialty that entails time for training from "Professionals" (its only $$$)

And the dive among us...

Sam Miller, 111
I would not be amazed that some new divers have poor airway control and can't find correct buttons, and unlike you, I was an active pro for a mere 4 years.

@Ghost95

And the dive among us...

Sam Miller, 111

Man, forums are great! People take a light hearted posts so seriously. Regardless of how true they are some posts are just for fun.

Why so serious in the snorkel poetry thread? Isn't there another serious snorkel debate thread somewhere?

I mean really, this thread started with snorkel poetry. Light hearted humor.

But, because I'm on a forum with nothing better to do...

Nope, Just call the the marine patrol about dangerous boaters, give them a description, and go on my way.

Have you printed cards with a dive flag description?

Already printed in the regulations. Aren't you supposed to know those before you take on the responsibility of operating a vessel? To bad there is no required training for boaters like there is for driving a car.

Why? See answer above...already in the regulations. Plus, even if I could explain it to them, I can't understand it for them. And no one likes being lectured.

Nope...Still in the regulations...One marina does have a little laminated sheet with the basic rules and pictures of dive flags posted by their cleaning station though. I don't know if they or a local dive shop made it up or if it's a commercial product. It's normally covered with business cards for charters though.

No, come close once, but are you suggesting that no one has ever been hit by a boat operating in an unsafe manner around dive flags?

I am glad you agree with me on the state of the modern diver though...See we have common ground.

PS. Golf Sucks...I also suck at golf.
(please no one get offended if you like golf)

Back
Top Bottom