To the Open Water Divers in the cave at Ginnie Springs today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superlyte27

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
You talked to us for more than a few minutes about how you feared caves, and had no desire to enter them. We enjoyed the conversation. :) . You really had us going there.

Oh, and thanks for the flashlight you left near the bottom of Devil's Eye cave. My son will love playing with it in the pool.

Just to play Devil's advocate here, how do you know that it was they who left the light?

OW divers at Devils Eye are NOT allowed to possess lights.I hope that didnt really occur.

I guess you can't fix stupid. It's not that hard to read a sign.

Last edited:
OW divers at Devils Eye are NOT allowed to possess lights.I hope that didnt really occur.

Unfortunately, it is all too common an occurance. I ran a thread not long ago, to better understand why people do that. I'm no stranger to it, I'm guilty, myself. I went into a cave untrained a few years ago & it nearly cost me dearly,... That is what convinced me to get the training. I was exceptionally lucky & got a second chance. Responses ranged from "I'll never go near a cave", to "I don't need no stinking training to cave dive", to "I can learn this on my own" to "I got the training & very glad I did".

Who's going go take their light away? Ya better watch out. Those OWs could start pulling their 6" pigstickers.

(OK, I've probably milked that enough)

Ginnie makes it way to easy. Sure guys, take your lights and head in to the ballroom. It's safe. STAY AWAY FROM THE EYE AND EAR NO LIGHTS ALLOWED! Such a double standard.

I actually had an OW diver try to enforce the no lights policy on me one day. It was cute. It made me feel good that someone would speak up, and not be seen as a rude cave diver.

Just to play Devil's advocate here, how do you know that it was they who left the light?

There were very few divers at Ginnie yesterday because of the weather and it being a weekday. I had been at Ginnie all day long. I never left. I knew all the cave divers who were diving that day, and like most cave divers, recognize every single gear choice anyone ever makes, especially if it's a poor gear choice.

The light wasn't there when we entered the cave, it was there when we exited the cave.

This was a cheap princeton tech light on a 4' retractable bungee. No self respecting southerner eats instant grits... Err, I mean, no self respecting cave diver wears a 4' retractable bungee on their light.

(Sorry, My Cousin Vinnie snuck in there for a second)

No self respecting southerner eats instant grits...

Not even us yankee transplants.

The only legitimate use for instant grits is for screaming kids - who have no sense of taste anyhow.

That isn't proof, it's still speculation. Even if it did belong to one of them, that doesn't mean they went into the cave. They might have only checked out the cavern. Yes, it is against the park rules to have a light in there, but it cannot be automatically assumed that they went into the cave beyond the cavern unless someone saw them do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom