To weight or not to weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I'm 5'8" tall and weigh about 215lbs. I have a brand new 3mm wetsuit. I wear a weight integrated BCD. I am scheduled for a boat dive shortly. I will probably not have a chance to check my weight first. I was figuring on about 20lbs (based on the 10 percent rule) and the fact that the wetsuit is brand new. An instructor told me that is too much - that 16-18lbs should be good enough. But with the 10 percent rule I should actually be at 21.5 lbs. I'm wondering what you guys thoughts are on this. I rate myself as a beginner diver - because although i have a good amount of dives i haven't dove in many many years and am just getting back into the sport. I just finished a PADI refresher course. Any suggestions on what weight to dive with?

What tank? I am guessing an AL 80 rental???

Where are you diving?

I am 210 5'11" and dive 3mm with 12 lbs in Florida but I have a back plate that allows me to shed a few. Even with a BCD and inexperience you will probably be a few over but like cappie said, you probably won't notice it too much,on the first dive. Check yourself at the end of the dive and then try to shed the excess.

Yes it's an AL80 rental. Diving in the Florida Keys. Planning on putting 6lbs total in the rear-trim pockets (2 pockets with 3 lbs each) - (its a back-inflate BC). Then 7 lbs in each of the integrated BC weight pockets (5lb + 2lb on each side). That would give me 20lbs total. I love your idea of checking myself at the end of the dive with a fairly empty tank. Great idea! I can always yank each of the 2lb weights at that time, and get my boyancy as accurate as possible. What do you guys think of having 6 lbs of weight for rear trim? Seems to be a good amount to me. Not too much, not too little. Thoughts?

Yes it's an AL80 rental. Diving in the Florida Keys. Planning on putting 6lbs total in the rear-trim pockets (2 pockets with 3 lbs each) - (its a back-inflate BC). Then 7 lbs in each of the integrated BC weight pockets (5lb + 2lb on each side). That would give me 20lbs total. I love your idea of checking myself at the end of the dive with a fairly empty tank. Great idea! I can always yank each of the 2lb weights at that time, and get my boyancy as accurate as possible. What do you guys think of having 6 lbs of weight for rear trim? Seems to be a good amount to me. Not too much, not too little. Thoughts?

Would suggest that you make 2 of the 2-pounders, 4 1-pounders if you want to really "dial in" your weight (this allows you to pull 1 pound from each side). But I don't think that you are hardly going to notice the difference a 2 pound drop in weight makes.

Should be ok with the trim but it depends on where it is placed of course.

Weight requirements are unique to the individual and his gear setup.
If you want to be properly weighted, you need to do a proper weight check.

Having enough weight/ballast is a separate issue from optimizing placement of that weight so that it promotes proper horizontal trim.

FWIW, you can certainly do a weight check with a full tank at the beginning of the dive. Just make sure that you work out any bubbles/air pockets that might be lingering in your wetsuit and compensate for the weight of your tank gas (add about 5-6 lbs. for an AL80). Recall that you need enough ballast to remain at safety stop depth (and make a controlled ascent to the surface), so your weighting needs to be enough for when your tank is empty/nearly empty.

Excellent advice from all. The rear trim pockets I have are actually add-ons I purchased from XS Scuba. They are removable. I'll play around with the weights I have in them, and will definitely try to do a weight check both when I first get into the water, and again when my tank is running empty after the dive. Hopefully i can get it tuned properly by the end of Dive #2. I'm doing 6-10 dives during my April Key Largo trip. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

now that i think about this i feel stupid that i didnt think of it lol. im going to try this out and see how it goes

Excellent advice from all. The rear trim pockets I have are actually add-ons I purchased from XS Scuba. They are removable. I'll play around with the weights I have in them, and will definitely try to do a weight check both when I first get into the water, and again when my tank is running empty after the dive. Hopefully i can get it tuned properly by the end of Dive #2. I'm doing 6-10 dives during my April Key Largo trip. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Might I suggest that you get to a swimming pool BEFORE ​you even go on vacation. Take the time to get your weight PLACEMENT figured out before heading to your vacation destination. All you'll need to do then is add the additional weight needed for saltwater.

Okie Newbies, I as a fellow newbie have been rather morbidly obsessed with the A&I thread (accidents and incidents) . . and I've noticed a disturbing trend.

We newbies have too much weight on us when we dive. AND

We newbies don't yet have it ingrained in our habits, when or how to ditch that weight in emergencies. THUS

We die.

So, I've been working on getting my weight down and for me there have been a few key areas of focus. I share them in the hopes you too will focus on the weight issue. Since I am no expert, not even close, I can't offer you advice on how to do these things correctly. But there are several threads on each topic that offers much advice. PLUS you can ask your instructors. Yep, call 'em up. I don't care how long it's been since your OW cert. Call them. Frequently. I'm blessed with a great instructor. I even emailed him while at ITK with my 'newbie stupid question of the day'.

Ok, here goes my two cents on what we newbies need to focus on early on:

1) Buoyancy, buoyancy, buoyancy . . . now, my dive buddies will tell ya that I have NOT mastered this. But 20 dives into my journey I continue to work hard at it every dive. I analyze why it sucked, and then try to fix it in the next dive. I think my learning curve is shortened because of this focus. I have a long way to go but it is an important skill. Buoyancy is affected by several things. See the next few items below.

2) One of the reasons we have trouble with buoyancy is weight (are you seeing the trend here). Since we are overweighted, we try to use the BC to compensate. For me, it was the fear I couldn't hold a safety stop. So I weighted myself too much. But now I've gotten my cold freshwater/7 mil/steel tank weight down to 10 lbs. It took learning how to RELAX at the surface and then to time my letting out a breath of air at the same time as deflating my BC, then either duck diving or going into the horizontal hover during my descent. It works. Trust me. Try it. We newbies do the feet first thing cuz it is what we are taught, but please try the other methods. I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that my ears actually clear better when I am horizontal then when I do the feet first, PLUS I can see what or who is below me as I descend. AND since I only have 10 lbs now, I use my BC far less often to 'keep me off the bottom'.

3) BREATHING . . . we have to learn to master our breathing. Not just air consumption but actually using our lungs as a sort of BC . . . I'm definitely not there yet, but it's getting better. PLUS, the less often I have to pump air into my BC means more bottom time for me so for 'air hogs' the sooner you can master the weight/buoyancy/breathing issue, the sooner you will win the air war.

4) With less weight we won't get as tired as fast, won't breath through as much air, AND have a better shot at letting our BC work for us in an emergency. IF you have an OOA situation and happen to actually remember to orally inflate your BC at the surface, BUT you have too much weight, your BC may not have enough 'lift' to hold you on the surface.

5) Finally, KNOW HOW TO DUMP YOUR WEIGHT. Practice it. It kills me to read how often divers make it to the surface but because they can't or don't remember to dump their weight they end up drowning.

Ok, I'm off the 'don't die' soap box for the day.

Veterans - please add your comments. Don't hesitate to flame me where needed. Let's face it . . my two cents isn't worth half its value so I'm not offended by having better information posted.

P.S. For those with weight integrated BC's, consider splitting your weights between the BC and a weight belt. If you should unintentionally lose the belt, or a weight integrated pocket, you will only lose a portion of the weight. (Veterans: Please chime in on any concerns about the difficulty ditching 'multiple' weights might be in this scenario).

This is great, I'm gonna share this with my fellow buddies.

Might I suggest that you get to a swimming pool BEFORE ​you even go on vacation. Take the time to get your weight PLACEMENT figured out before heading to your vacation destination. All you'll need to do then is add the additional weight needed for saltwater.

Just a follow up - the Dive operation i used in Key Largo (Rainbow Reef ) was excellent. They advised all divers to go out on the line (off the back of the boat) and do a weight check before descending if anyone was unsure of their weight, so they could adjust BEFORE ruining your dive. I was wearing a brand new wetsuit and a new weight integrated BCD - so I was not sure exactly what weight i needed. I started with 14 lbs which was pretty accurate (I weight 215, was wearing a 3ml full wetsuit). I did a weight check on my first dive off the line and again when I asscended with a near empty tank. The 14lbs was good but i felt that I could go lighter. Dive #4 I ended up dropping 2 more lbs, and was still able to get down, and was also able to control my ascent with a near empty tank. So I was rather pleased that I was able to get to 12 lbs of weight. I saw fellow divers on the boat literally LOADED with weights. I saw some dropping too low, crashing into sea-fans, sponges, standing on the reef etc. It was pathetic! I think that many newer divers completely take for granted the amount of weight they are wearing. They simply compensate by filling their BC with air. I try to "screw" with my BC as little as possible while i'm down.

I suggest that new divers really take the time to focus on buoyancy for a few dives. Get your weight down, really focus on maintaining neutral buoyancy throughout your dive, and try to minimize screwing with your BC inflator/deflator as much as possible. Not only will you have more time to enjoy the sights underwater, you will also be lighter, have less drag, which in-turn will allow you to slow your air consumption so you can stay down longer. On dive #4 when i had dropped the additional 2 lbs of weight i really focused on slowing my breathing, minimizing inflating/deflating my BC, and using my breathing to help control my buoyancy. I was the last diver back on the boat on that dive! My bottom time / air consumption was excellent on that dive! So focus on getting your weight down, focus on controlling your breathing, and maintaining your buoyancy and you WILL be rewarded with longer dives!

I did a total of 10 boat dives in 3 days in Key Largo. It was amazing! Can't wait to go back!!!

Last edited:
Hi all. Not sure if im missing something here but if you have done your buoyancy check at the surface how come your carrying to much weight? Do a buoyancy check with a full tank and an empty tank and you will be spot on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom