Tobermory - Diving Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estrojenn:
We dove with Capt. Gary on Saturday and as I said, it was fantastic. It was the woman in the dive shop that was horrible. I'm writing them a letter today though...as I'm sure the diver who was treated badly will as well.
I figured it was not Gary - he was just fantastic and seemed to be very meticulous about the upkeep of the boat and safety issues. Exactly what you want. I guess sometimes the shop personnel are not exactly as customer service oriented or understanding perhaps.

but telling a customer to **** off for no reason?? i was standing right there. the guy was being very reasonable and the woman at the counter *yelled* at him that the conditions were fine and that he was doing the dive. money wasnt even mentioned and when the guy said 'fine, i'll cancel the whole thing then' she *yelled* **** off! it was absolutly ridiculous.

both sides of the story are being presented. and the counter-person at DD was completely out of line.

diverbrian:
We insist on Gary Coulter and the Deep Obsession when we do our annual trip. Having spoken with Gary, if he is very protective of divers specifically on the Arabia and the Forest City. If a customer was nervous about it, I can't see him letting the customer off the boat. His phrase to me was that he has never had a fatality off of one of his boats and he doesn't plan to start now.

Actually if you read other threads on the board, the dive operation has the right to go or not go. If they decide to go and somebody doesn't feel comfortable with it, then the individual will likely sacrifice the deposit or charter fees that they already paid in the interests of safety. And if DD had advertised the Arabia and only one diver wasn't comfortable with it, then the rest of the divers would have likely not been happy. That is fairly standard policy in the business.

This is another case of seeing one version of the story. It would be a little more fair to see both sides of the story before tuning up flamethrowers.

estrojenn:
but telling a customer to **** off for no reason?? i was standing right there. the guy was being very reasonable and the woman at the counter *yelled* at him that the conditions were fine and that he was doing the dive. money wasnt even mentioned and when the guy said 'fine, i'll cancel the whole thing then' she *yelled* **** off! it was absolutly ridiculous.

both sides of the story are being presented. and the counter-person at DD was completely out of line.
To be honest, I was saying that what a person sees standing in line is many times different than the whole story. Having said that, it is terrible customer relations. I do agree with that. I am attempting to think of what it would take to set off Susan to do that (if it was Susan). If it was an employee, then I am sure that Susan will be *very* interested when the letter comes in and will deal with it.

I have used Divers Den many times during the last few years. I find it very hard to believe Sue or employees would addressing the diver that way.. BUt it could happen. However I think Asstrojen has missed some of the conversation . As far as Capt Gary goes .. he is the best up there , not to say the rest aren't . We were diving the Niagara II that morning and heard it on the VHF radio. The water conditions were not that bad at all ( 1-2 ft swells.) Yes I know there is a current on the Arabia and I also know that ALL the Capt,s tell you that on the pre-dive adviseory.
As far as all the heart attacks because of the currents .. well there has been 2 heart attacks this year up there. The one we are talking about and another one in May or early June . This took place at the "anchor" close to shore, NOT a boat dive no current AND it was a Ontario store doing a check-out . How can we blame the stores in Tobermory about the physical condition of the divers they get up there. Unfortuneately I think there are a few people using this incident to bash and promote their own adjendas .

DacDives3:
Does anyone have info on the accident in Tobermory Ont. today? (28/08/04)

This is the story we ran on August 30th - Monday.
[Bruce Peninsula][bbr]

Bruce Peninsula OPP have released more information into the death of a
Michigan man over the weekend.
OPP say 53 year old William Perry had been diving on the wreck of the Arabia
at Fathom Five National Marine Park, when he appeared to have difficulties
and went unconcious.
Perry was assisted to the surface and CPR was performed, however he was
pronounced dead by a doctor waiting on shore.Autopsy results indicate Perry
died as a result of a pre-existing medical condition.

- News Director
CKNX AM/FM Radio

sparky30:
I have never been on the Arabia, but keep hearing about a current.. Just how much of a current is there?
Just curious.

Nothing like your Niagara River or Brockville current. The few times I have been out there the current was non existent but I imagine these things are seasonal.

sparky30:
I have never been on the Arabia, but keep hearing about a current.. Just how much of a current is there?
Just curious.

I have been on it when you definately noticed the current when swimming against it. The same dive had very poor vis to boot. That dive wasn't much fun.

Then again, I've been there with zero current and pretty decent vis. Fortunately I had my video cam that day too.

Unfortunately, I can't shoot video worth a hoot most days.

Scuba_Steve:
I have been on it when you definately noticed the current when swimming against it. The same dive had very poor vis to boot. That dive wasn't much fun.

Then again, I've been there with zero current and pretty decent vis. Fortunately I had my video cam that day too.

Unfortunately, I can't shoot video worth a hoot most days.
Cool.. When someone mentions current, I usually assiciate "Niagara River" current with that word.. So this might be a fun dive after all.. I can stop and look around when I want to :)
Haven't had the camere out underwater lately.. I wanted to shoot the Tiller and really put my strobe to good use..(It wasn't really needed down south) I just haven'yt got around to it yet.. Maybe I'll move up to video in a few years.. Still trying to figure out the stuff that doesn't move.

sparky30:
Cool.. When someone mentions current, I usually assiciate "Niagara River" current with that word.. So this might be a fun dive after all.. I can stop and look around when I want to :)
Haven't had the camere out underwater lately.. I wanted to shoot the Tiller and really put my strobe to good use..(It wasn't really needed down south) I just haven'yt got around to it yet.. Maybe I'll move up to video in a few years.. Still trying to figure out the stuff that doesn't move.
I was on the Arabia the Friday before all this happened and there was a very mild current. Perhaps it may have changed the next day - I don't know exactly how it works. But having done drift diving in Cozumel and the currents in Brockville (the Daryaw comes to mind), it was nothing even close to that.

Back
Top Bottom