Tobermory this summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatieMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, thinking of going to Tobermory in August 2017 for a short trip and a few dives. I dive with a 3/2 wetsuit in 80 degree caribbean water and get a bit cold toward the end of a 60 minute dive. Will this do in Tobermory? What's the typical water temperature in August?

Also, any recommendations for how to do this on the cheap? Where to stay for a few days?

And which shop to dive with. I have only OW certification and 14 dives under my belt. My husband is AOW and more experienced.

Anything else I should think about? Air consumption, weight, etc.

We're also warm water divers. Here's what we did.

We aimed for late August / early September, as this is when the water is the warmest. We booked our dives with Diver's Den way in advance, 2+ months ahead of time. There were already other divers booked, but nobody requested any specific dive sites, so we got to choose. We choose the shallow ones. Around 5-10 metres of depth, and that's where the water is 20+ degrees. We did the Sweepstakes, Wetmore and the caves. We rented 7 mm wetsuits and were just fine in those. Probably could have done with less on those shallowest dives (Sweepstakes, Wetmore). They were short dives too as we aren't really into wrecks anyway.

We had one (somewhat) deeper dive to 15 metres, the Caroline Rose. Temp at the bottom was 13 degrees. That was cold. That was when we put on the gloves and hood we brought. Other dives we didn't need them. Still was cold, but good enough for some 20 minutes.

So booking the dives ahead of time is key, and the same is true for accommodation.

Riding off what dfx said I personally would say to go with the 7mm. Going less than that and you'll find less enjoyment on some of the dives that aren't really considered "deep" but are kind of riding on the border of becoming deeper and colder. When I went there my deepest dives were 81 and 71 feet. On one of them we definitely hit a thermal kline and phew that was chilly.

I believe that was on the Niagara II. Looking at my dive logs it seems to be the case as we hit 49F. To put it into perspective, at the surface of the water it was 78F, but at 71ft it was 49F.

I know dfx mentioned the sweepstakes, I wouldn't even go on air if you plan to go to that one. You honestly could snorkel it. My max depth was 13 ft there, and that was the bottom of the ship. Most of that dive was just us looking from the surface so that we could conserve air to do another dive.

The caves (Grotto) was neat and lowest temp was only 65F. Same with the Wetmore, also 65F. The Newaygo was 67F. Caroline Rose was a bit deeper, I hit 53ft, and 58F.

But to be honest, the ships deeper down I found more interesting, I'd strongly suggest avoiding a thin wetsuit as it would mean quite the discomfort at the interesting bit deeper dives.

All good advice so far.
The only thing that I might add would be to try and find an opportunity to Getting some pool time in ahead of time can go a long ways in making sure that you are comfortable there.
Your 3/2 wetsuit might be OK for quickly snorkelling the tugs or the Sweepstakes, but I would not wear less than 7mm for diving.
You will also want to be sure and have open heel fins and boots to keep your feet warm. Full foot fins will not be an option for Tobermory.

All good advice so far.
The only thing that I might add would be to try and find an opportunity to Getting some pool time in ahead of time can go a long ways in making sure that you are comfortable there.
Your 3/2 wetsuit might be OK for quickly snorkelling the tugs or the Sweepstakes, but I would not wear less than 7mm for diving.
You will also want to be sure and have open heel fins and boots to keep your feet warm. Full foot fins will not be an option for Tobermory.
Thanks. Great advice. I do have 6.5mm boots and open heel fins. I also have a sister with a pool and her own tanks. I might just jump in the pool in May :wink:

I do have 6.5mm boots and open heel fins.

Good to hear! I did a dive on the Niagara II near Tobermory several years ago... One diver on the boat showed up with his AOW card and insisted he had all of his own gear. Turns out he had only been diving in the tropics previously, and had full foot fins. Water temps in the protected hold areas of the wreck (not an overhead environment) were around 40F or a bit less. Lets just say he was very cold on that dive. Our second dive on that day was at the Caves, and he stayed much shallower and well above the thermocline!

Your 6.5mm boots will do the job in combination with a hood and gloves.

Good advice here. I've been diving Toby for 15 years and wouldn't go with less than 5ml above the thermocline and 7ml or drysuit below it.

Renting from Diver's Den is a snap.
If you like, let me know when you're heeds that way and depending on the day I may dive with you.

The other dive shop you can use is G&S Watersports. There are a number of shore dives that can be done with a couple being wrecks, the Tugs, all else are just rocks and drop offs. You won't see the marine life of warm water, so most people go to see the wooden wrecks (100+years old) and a couple of planned wrecks. You will definitely need a 7mm suit if you go much below 30', this year could be warmer as there has not been much ice. For staying there are a number of campsites around Tobermory (cheaper) or you can rent cabins, Wireless Bay, or a number of motel rooms. Enjoy it's a great place for freshwater diving, generally good viz and wooden wrecks or cool rock formations.

Actually my avatar is a pic of me diving on the Whetmore.

Oh and don't forget you will have to pay park fees for diving in the National park

Back
Top Bottom