Tobin's marketing sucks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only is it inexpensive, but NO ONE gets close to his quality. The rubber grommets in his SS backplates are incredibly innovative. They stop web chaffing and creep completely! I must say that sometimes I feel like a DSS sales rep and I KNOW that I have sent at least one shop his way.

Not only is it inexpensive, but NO ONE gets close to his quality. The rubber grommets in his SS backplates are incredibly innovative. They stop web chaffing and creep completely! I must say that sometimes I feel like a DSS sales rep and I KNOW that I have sent at least one shop his way.

So what's the deal, does he produce his items himself? Does he provide LDS with goods he has made? -Like mine, if I ask politely? :D

DSS does sell to dealers. I don't see why he wouldn't want to have a distributor in Norway. I have ordered two set ups from him one for my self and another for a customer who backed out after his wife found out he'd ordered another piece of gear. SO guess what? I now have two set ups. One for singles and one for doubles. Every time I go diving at least one person asks me about my rig and this is not an exaggeration. BUt unfortunately I live in an area where at least locally anyway alot of the people still associate BPW's with tech only diving. The attitude is changing though. I'm going for instructor in May and I'll be recommending BPW set ups to as many studnets as I feel would benefit from diving with one. Guess who's I'll be pushing as well as diving with. I'm even planning on once I get a couple students certed, and a little money in the bank for it, picking up a couple single tank set ups for students to use. Even though I dive a HOG harness I'll probably set my students up with pro-fits just to make them easier to adjust for each class.

So what's the deal, does he produce his items himself? Does he provide LDS with goods he has made? -Like mine, if I ask politely? :D
The answer to that is simply "Yes".

Unlike most makers of wings, all of his manufacturing (other than the inflator) are done in house. He does not subcontract as he IS the factory. The same is true for his metal fabrication: he does it ALL. The injection molding is his as well, and he has made some way cool stuff like the quick releases for hoses, the BC flusher that hooks up to your inflator as well as other cool stuff.

You can either buy direct or from a dealer. Somehow, I think Tobin would love to have more dealers but he has to eat in the interim. If I remember rightly, Tobin broke onto the ScubaBoard scene offering these small rubber wedges that LOCK your tank in place. It's been cool to watch him grow and prosper and I am lucky to be able to call him a friend.

KOMPRESSOR, Tobin does have dealers (I know, because my LDS is one of them).

The fun of DSS is watching someone with a relentlessly busy, creative mind and the engineering background to make sound decisions, thinking up clever things to make life easier for divers. Plus, if you ever get to meet him, Tobin is a wonderfully warm and generous person, too!

Well, for all the reasons you've listed I'll get in touch with him. Could one of you guys who has his stuff look at the labels and see if there's some CE-marking on them? I'm not sure if this is vital, but for most other items it is, if it's to be sold in Europe.

Well, for all the reasons you've listed I'll get in touch with him. Could one of you guys who has his stuff look at the labels and see if there's some CE-marking on them? I'm not sure if this is vital, but for most other items it is, if it's to be sold in Europe.

Hi Kompressor,

If I'm correctly informed the only goods requiring a CE mark are wings. We do not yet have CE approval on our wings.

The balance of our goods are currently resold by a number of UK and European Retailers.

I am considering submitting at least a portion of our 15 wings for approval. The construction of our wings is compliant, but we still need to undergo the approval process.

Tobin

Hi Kompressor,

If I'm correctly informed the only goods requiring a CE mark are wings. We do not yet have CE approval on our wings.

The balance of our goods are currently resold by a number of UK and European Retailers.

I am considering submitting at least a portion of our 15 wings for approval. The construction of our wings is compliant, but we still need to undergo the approval process.

Tobin

Yes, it's hassel and a waiting game. Imagine what the boating industry goes through... (I sell boats too).

Thanks for the info Tobin. Please, if you're not to busy, let me know if there's some progress with this, will you?

Yes, it's hassel and a waiting game. Imagine what the boating industry goes through... (I sell boats too).

Thanks for the info Tobin. Please, if you're not to busy, let me know if there's some progress with this, will you?

When it happens I promise I won't keep it a secret!

Happy Holidays,

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom