Tofo or Barra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casa Barry in Tofo has 'Chalets', and 'Casitas' made out of brick/clay or reed. The nice ones are the Chalets. Unfortunatelly they are suited for self catering groups of 4-6 (family) with kitchen facilities and everything and work out a bit expensive for two persons relying on the restaurants for all meals. The casitas, that are ok but not that nice location wise, are regular double room 'bungalows'. Another drawback with the casitas is that you have to depend on the resort restaurant for breakfast. And it didn't, at least when we were there, open until after we had to leave for the morning dive/dives. It ment going out to sea for several hours on an empty stomach. Not very well thought out as they sort of promoted themselves as 'partner' to the dive center. Things might have changed now. Ask some questions.
If you want more upscale, I know there is a place called the Flamingo resort on Barra Point. Haven't seem it with my own eyes, but it was spoken of as a more luxurious place and it sure looks like it on their web site. But more expensive.
Another thing to consider is that Tofo is a small (ok very small, but anyway) village with a few restaurants and bars, a small market and some life besides the resort. I'm not sure about the situation on Barra Point, but I believe there isn't that much besides the resorts.

good luck

I have the Casa Barry pricelist but thanks for the offer. Still waiting for some quotes from sharkalley. Will see what they come up with. I liked the idea of Tofo since even though very small, it sounds like it has an option or two if you want to leave the resort whereas it seemed like you were "stuck" at the resort Barra. I'll check out Flamingo Resort though. Thanks again for all the advice.

Yeah, you got the idea. Taste is different, but I though it was nice being able to go to another place from time to time and sometimes seeing new faces in the resort restaurant.

BTW. Have you heard if Tofo Scuba are setting up their own accomodation near the DC? I think they will eventually, it seemed like they talk to loud about when we were there.

/christian

There are about a dozen places in the area. Most accomodation will be a bit dissapointing! As far as I can remember there is barra lodge, barra reef, flamingo bay, owned by barra lodge, got very bad reviews, palm grove, white sands and lots more. look on google earth, make sure the right layers are checked ( I just did them all) lots of places come up then do a search on google, most have a web presence. another good site is http://www.getawaytoafrica.com

if your looking for seriouse luxury then try the villanculos region, Benguerra lodge is amazing, marlin lodge on the same island is nice, bazaruto is good, but a lot more commercial, big concrete hotels, but very comfortable
have fun
Ryan

Once again Christian has it spot on. Last time I was at Cassa Barry we took a dinner bed and breakfast deal so we had to eat at the restaraunt there. After going through the menu once it would have been nice to eat somewhere else . Dino's just down the beach has good pizzas for instance.

Have you checked out the location of the resorts/restaraunts on Google Earth ?

Tofo is about to start building accomodation, it has to be finished by May because John and nikki are getting married at last, they need somewhere for the partygoers to stay!

I'm prepared for disappointing places as long as the diving is good. I went with Casa Barry with the BB only package. Should be ok. I'll do a site inspection for John and Nikki's wedding and let you know how it is going. :) If you want to dream, I was given a book called "Dive in Style" that lists worldwide exclusive resorts with diving. Marlin Lodge is featured.

mrrworld:
I'm prepared for disappointing places as long as the diving is good. I went with Casa Barry with the BB only package. Should be ok. I'll do a site inspection for John and Nikki's wedding and let you know how it is going. :) If you want to dream, I was given a book called "Dive in Style" that lists worldwide exclusive resorts with diving. Marlin Lodge is featured.

I've seen that book...I believe there's also another place in Mozambique represented there... If you want mantas and whale shark (who doesn't) you won't be disappointed.
Good luck and post a report when you're back.

cheers

Christian

Attachments

• mantaclose.jpg
    mantaclose.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 37
  • valhajfront.jpg
    valhajfront.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 34
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom