Told My Jedi Master I'm Ready for 200' - need to start preparing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal comment: I am also concerned about your Jedi Master comment. Speaking generally of hero worship and not commenting on you, hero worship tends to interfere with sound judgment and critical thinking, turning diving into a "trust me" sport.
I really agree here.

I know an otherwise intelligent person who I believe has made some really foolish decisions as a result of his slavish devotion to a pretty well known figure in the dive community. When he told me (not quite in these words, but shockingly close) that Boyle's Law was not a valid concept in physics (because it contradicted one of the idol's opinions), I figured he had gone off the the deep end. I told him in our last exchange that his idolatry had destroyed his ability to think rationally, and I am sorry to say we no longer communicate.

There is a reason (besides decrepit health) why older people are generally not allowed to enlist in the army...

You mean that they can see through the BS that the youngsters happily swallow?:D

There is a reason (besides decrepit health) why older people are generally not allowed to enlist in the army...

You mean that they can see through the BS that the youngsters happily swallow?:D
I think it's because when they say, "Charge that machine gun nest!" we are more likely to reflect on the importance of the mission in relation to our personal life goals.

I don't believe the OP is a troll, but I am guessing he wants a bit of guidance to ask some sensible questions of his mentor. Nothing wrong with that -- no one likes broaching a subject and coming across like an idiot.

I have around 1,200 dives spread over nearly 30 years, but I have never been to 200 feet. I would like to one day, "just because". So in a sense I guess I am a bit like the OP. Maybe the difference between us is I have a slightly better understanding of what is likely to be involved.

So, assuming I am right, here are a few points which you can raise with your mentor:
- Going to that depth, you need to give serious consideration to using trimix (ie. a helium gas mix) to offset narcosis. Otherwise, unless you are very good and/or very lucky, bad things have a much greater chance of happening.
- You are going to have to do mandatory decompression if you go that deep. Some people can and do "ride their computer" for deco, but I would strongly encourage learning how to do it properly and planning your deco schedule using software.
- You are going to need to plan your gas usage. Not just in your doubles, but you are almost certainly going to need to carry oxygen rich gases for accelerated decompression (refer back to previous point about learning to plan decompression schedules).
- At 200 feet, no one can hear you scream (OK, not quite, but it sounded good). If you want to go that deep you need to understand what technical divers mean when they say "redundancy" in everything. You need to be properly equipped and trained for when things go otherwise than exactly according to plan.

Ask sensible questions, learn a lot, and make sure you are ready before you go deep. Just remember that diving is a journey and not a destination. Enjoy the ride.

My friend Chad lost his life following his "Jedi Master" to 200 feet. Jedi Master got himself permanently banned from NAUI for taking people who were patently unqualified that deep, and left the country to avoid legal hassles with the survivors of their little ill-conceived foray.

Moral of the story ... choose your mentors carefully ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am guessing he wants a bit of guidance to ask some sensible questions of his mentor. Nothing wrong with that -- no one likes broaching a subject and coming across like an idiot.
NWGratefulDiver:
Moral of the story ... choose your mentors carefully ...
Both are very good points. In fairness to the unknown Jedi Master (JM), nothing in the OP's comments really seems to indicate that the idea of going to 200' at some point in the future came from the JM. It is quite possible that the JM talked about his diving history (at least a few of us are fond at times of telling war stories, especially when adult beverages are involved), and the young Jedi Knight took the comments to heart and set 200' as a goal. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with that. So, if we accept the spirit of the thread title - 'need to start preparing', maybe much of what has been provided will do just what Rhone Man suggests - give him food for thought, and some useful background, to allow him to ask informed questions of the JM going forward.

Dr Bill I will be your proof, I have been in the water everyday since the start of june, and have spent 4 to 5 hours under water, the last part of nearly 7 hours down a day.

Minimum of two dives at close to 300' while most were 250' ta start the day.
after studying salmon, I started salmon fishing on SI. Since the first of July I spent all daylight hours on the water, we only had one day I had to go to protected waters, all the rest I could go where ever I wanted.

Your body will eventually adapt to the narcosis, and learn how to think through the narcosis. Although when flying through current you can get more intense of a narc not knowing what comes up. the puget sound had light down past 200' in many areas.

Good to you for you quest of the 200' mark, may it be a safe and fun dive for you to continue.

No current need to go to those depths so I'm a pretty shallow fellow these days (preferring long bottom time for filming, especially since I'm now diving with an 80 instead of my old HP120). Not sure if I'll ever return to those depths... it is much more interesting above 100 ft once you've spent enough time to discover the different species that do exist at those depths.

I don't believe the OP is a troll, but I am guessing he wants a bit of guidance to ask some sensible questions of his mentor. Nothing wrong with that -- no one likes broaching a subject and coming across like an idiot.

A good mentor does not think questions are stupid or that someone is an idiot. The best mentoring occurs at happy hour IMHO.

A jehdi master will scorn and belittle, and then you are left with hero worship whilst screaming at 200'.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom