Told My Jedi Master I'm Ready for 200' - need to start preparing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD,
Get some helium you will like it I promise. Run some profiles on software and pay extra attention to EAD.
Eric

DD,
Get some helium you will like it I promise. Run some profiles on software and pay extra attention to EAD.
Eric

do you have any idea how many dive courses I would need to take to be allowed to use helium. I am happy the tank "boys" let me fill a bottle with oxygen once in a while. I don't have any technical training and don't expect to get any in the future. If He were cheap, I might consider going that route.

do you have any idea how many dive courses I would need to take to be allowed to use helium. I am happy the tank "boys" let me fill a bottle with oxygen once in a while. I don't have any technical training and don't expect to get any in the future. If He were cheap, I might consider going that route.

One, actually ... IANTD Recreational Trimix would give you enough information (and a card) to allow you to use helium. A second course (AN/DP) would train you to use it on 150-foot dives.

Given your background, I'd think those courses would be pretty easily accessible to you ... and well worth the investment, since you like to dive solo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My guess is DD has enough experience that standards would allow entry directly into Advanced Recreational Trimix which would train to dive to 160'. I do a combination AN/DP and ART course that results in all 3 cards and I charge less than a $1000 for it.

Dump go to your gas supply house, talk with them on how to obtain a helium bottle, spend the money on He analyzer, get O2 bottle, O2 analyzer. Now take class, or not(go dive with a trimix buddy) after all, you can fill his tanks.

Now I did a dive ta 210' on air, ambiet light was down that far have great vis due to no sun for a week. I found a 60 to 70 foot fishing boat yesterday, I would say it bottoms out to 270' or so. I added a little He for todays dive, it looks to have been down awhile like 6 to 8 years. I want the caution of He to penetrate see if any bodies went down with it and any markings on it to identify.

He has only your own reasons to dive it, otherwise plain old air is fine to deep depths.

OK, I'll ask a troll-like question, just to keep it going.

I have no training whatsoever for diving with any form of helium - recreational, technical or otherwise (although ironically I am certified to blend it). However, when I look at it, I always think - how hard can it really be?

Calculating an END is pretty simple, so you know mix you need to order or blend. And you are always going to run your profiles through deco planning software if you were planning to dive beyond NDLs, so there is no real change in the way you cut your tables and plan your stops. The dive itself is presumably not executed any differently, except perhaps one takes greater care over ascent rates.

I can accept if you do really deep trimix dives, where one has to consider HPNS and nitrogen steps, that would call for further training and guidance, but I have to wonder what additional risks that I am supposedly not trained for. If someone offered me the chance to do a 180' dive on 18/35 instead of on air, would I be safer by declining on the basis I don't have the card?

However, when I look at it, I always think - how hard can it really be?

Calculating an END is pretty simple, so you know mix you need to order or blend. And you are always going to run your profiles through deco planning software if you were planning to dive beyond NDLs, so there is no real change in the way you cut your tables and plan your stops. The dive itself is presumably not executed any differently, except perhaps one takes greater care over ascent rates.

Quiet man we'll be out of a job if people figure this out.

.... seriously though.

In Trimix diving, the dive is the easy bit. Well the bottom time at least.
It's everything else that dive entails. Gas Requirements, Deco gases taken, the plan, the back-up plan, the fall back plan. Synchronising the descent and then the ascent, making the correct switches. This is all if everything goes to plan. But in courses nothing goes to plan. The dive goes 'wrong' all the time as your instructor gives you one or many incident scenarios which you have to deal with, choosing the correct response while your task loading is increased. What your left with is the confidence to do the dives yourself and deal with anything that may come up.
Reality is nothing may go wrong ever on a dive. On tech dives I've had all my problems occur before I got in the water (dead batteries, free-flowing regs etc) but I know divers who have had to 'feather' the deco bottle for all their stops due to free-flows underwater.
It's easy to a 60m dive once, twice maybe more without training. But when you do get caught out, thats when you wish you had done a course.

To put what Wart said in slightly different terms, the training for trimix dives does not have a whole lot to do with the trimix, and, yes, if you knew how to set up a program like V-Planner to give you the proper mixes, you would "know" all you needed. The training is first in dealing with the skills it takes to do those dives, such as switching tanks without changing your depth, switching to the correct tank, being able to make all switches and other skills smoothly and without having to look at your gear and thus losing focus.

Next, it is about dealing with everything that can possibly go wrong on such a dive. How much gas will you need in case of an emergency? What if you have a problem that makes one of your deco gases unavailable? what if your buddy has an emergency while you are in the process of doing one of these skills?

To give you an idea of what is done, fairly early in my training my buddy and I were, in theory, just going for a dive that was supposed to end with a series of deco stops (simulated--not really needed). We were starting that dive with doubles, an AL 80, and an AL 40 each. The instructor piled one failure on top of another, so that by the end of the dive, the only gas we had available was one AL 40, with which we were buddy breathing during the deco stops. My mask was gone, so I was blind. We were required to stay in good horizontal trim and hold our stops at the correct depth. As you can see, that experience has nothing to do with helium, but it has everything to do with getting to the surface safely after you have done a dive deep enough and long enough to require helium.

But in that sense tri-mix training, beyond a different set of tables and some other rather minor stuff, is not real different from decompression diving training, the basic problem of having to solve the problem without going to the surface is the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom