Tolerating low visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned in mid-west muck . . .

any vis, to me, is good vis :wink:

I didn't realize till I got to Puerto Vallarta that it was possible to see further than one's body length under water.

So, for me, I don't really "cope" with it. It's just part of diving to me.

I've done a few dives that ended up being close to zero vis. Sometimes everything seems great, but then all of a sudden the surge will bring in a big cloud, and you can't see a thing. We get that pretty often around here too...but like Spratman said, it makes those dives in exotic places with 80-ft vis seem like pure heaven! The hardest is when I've lost my buddy - and it's even worse when I find myself in a kelp bed. That can definitely be creepy.

A lot of great advice in here, so I won't repeat it. The only other suggestion I might offer is that my husband and I bring some type of sound-signaling device (usually just our dive knives to bang on the tank). If we lose each other visually, our plan is to stop immediately, look around, and if we don't see lights, to begin signaling with sound. Our agreement is that I stay still, continuing to signal, and he moves to find me. We've found each other a few times this way. Low vis is always better when you can see your buddy right next to you.

If you aren't already doing so, try

Starting your dives in shallow areas where there is more light

Keep in eye contact with the bottom or with a wall is very important both for having a visual reference, increased comfort level, and for having a better chance of seeing something.

Of course practising good buoyancy control very important to avoid stirring up your own bad vis.

Diving in low vis becomes much less stressful when you become very familiar with your dive site. "OK the vis is bad but I know the big rock is over to my right, the big tree stump is somewhere over to my left, pretty soon I should notice the drop off, etc." I'm simplifying but I found once I got to know a site it was less intimidating in bad vis.

You might reach a point where it is fun to endure the challenge of a low vis dive, particularly if you get comfortable navigating in bad vis.

--Matt

maj2:
I also tend to enjoy my low viz dives.
While great visibility is definitely awe inspiring, I find that low visibility forces you to focus on what you can see in the couple of feet in front of you. You often see many details that you might otherwise miss with the "distractions" of the vistas of clean, clear water.
You quickly learn to love each dive for what it offers.

Very true...

One thing that I have not seen anybody post.....navigate! You should already have a bearing of where the shore or entry point is so in low visibility check your compass often. If your compass is attached to your console or computer then it can be very comforting to know: "I have air and am maintaining depth" and "I know where I started, where I am and where I am going". This caNn help a little with the "boogeyman" syndrome because it does take some focus away from the shadows for safety reasons.

It does add a measure of excitement. Is that a Cotton Mouth or a piece of grass floating ahead? Is it a log down there on the bottom, or a gator? I hated it at first, but I'm starting to love my mud hole. It's great for practicing Nav. And as said...when you finally get to make that trip to clear water, it will be heaven on earth!

A couple people brought this up, and it reminded me -- one good thing that diving in low vis has done for me is to help me to appreciate the small stuff. Earlier in my dive career I used to spend most of my time looking for the big stuff - the rays or the sharks or the lobsters or whatever. But after a few dives in which I had to get right up nose to nose with the reef to see anything, I discovered all the cool stuff that was right there in front of me, if I would just take the time and get close enough to see it. Nudibranchs and anemones and sponges and all the macro things. So when I discover myself in 2-ft vis, I just try to find myself a rock and limit my dive to that one spot, and enjoy all the tiny life there is to see. And the lack of moving around sure adds to my bottom time!

I love diving in low vis, all our lakes are low vis (2 - 8 ft) and even in the summer the water at 50 FT is at 40C or less. These conditions make each dive more interesting due to each dive has its own set of problems to deal with. If I was to dive in crystal clear warm water all the time I would get bored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom