Too easy to become a DM??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheck33 once bubbled...

I apply GUE standards to my abilities...

I am a perfectionist as well, maybe that has something to do with it.

Granted. I, on the other hand, don't worry about GUE standards and have fun diving instead. I am secure in my abilities to do the dives I do, or I call them. A simple deco dive is not tough unless you choose to make it so.

The pursuit of "perfect" is unobtainable, but I wish you luck. Diving should be an enjoyable past time, or vocation as the case may be, not striving to be someone elses vision of the perfect diver. YM obviously V

Phil

Experienced DMs and even instructors that sucked and at the same time less experienced ones that were really good.

Altough experiene is, in my mind, very important for a DM, it is the person, not the title, that makes a good DM.

Ari :)

60 dives? Oh come on, let's get real. Not even close to enough. I started many years ago on the road to become an Instructor. After assistng on a couple of classes, I found out that I hated teaching, and I quit.
Like someone mentioned before, there are a lot of paper tigers that think that more certifications make a better diver, or that an instructor is a better diver.
To those good Divemasters that take the hundreds of guppy new openwater divers and babysit them, my deepest respect for your patience.

blueabysss once bubbled...
60 dives? Oh come on, let's get real. Not even close to enough. I started many years ago on the road to become an Instructor. After assistng on a couple of classes, I found out that I hated teaching, and I quit.
Like someone mentioned before, there are a lot of paper tigers that think that more certifications make a better diver, or that an instructor is a better diver.
To those good Divemasters that take the hundreds of guppy new openwater divers and babysit them, my deepest respect for your patience.

HERE HERE,,,,,MOST OF THEM ARE NOT WORTH THE PAPER/CARD IN THEIR DIVE LOG. JMHO.
REGARDS,
MATT

IMO too many of these 'courses' are sold as a ploy to generate 'sales dollars' or for C-card 'collectors' and too few students get properly trained in the skills they signed up to learn.

Wonder what a GUE 'Divemaster' course would be like vs. a PADI course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom