Too many members??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the problem isn't the number of members, it is the incredible number of posts that are not related to the subject.

For what it is worth, I am new to the Scuba Board, and I am interested in some of the current threads, with current reports about recent events. I will learn to search old threads, but it is nice to see current stuff sometimes.

Wristshot

There's something of a rule of diminishing returns applicable here, isn't there? Only so many 'new' topics under the sun...after you're well established, you really have to dig around for something 'new' to discuss. Although there will, one hopes, always be innovations that form new fodder for discussion, as well as news and current events (and a bit of goss for those so inclined!).

As a newbie, though, I do take the points that have been raised in this thread about people who don't run searches to see if their topic has been covered before, and quite possibly talked to death. I moderate a couple of research forums, and it's endlessly frustrating to see folks pop up with what they think is a brilliant new angle on the subject that has actually been talked into the ground years ago, or ask a question that has already been dealt with in any number of responses.

I'm still delving into the history of the forum and the huge amount of data and opinions that have been posted here before I even begin to ask specific questions!

Alas, yes with as many members as this board has, many threads are started, that although important to the member creating it, many (as you pointed out) have been discussed before.

Before starting a new thread, it's always a good idea to search for the topic first. I know the search function is not as sophisticated as some would like (like having a nested search function), it does work.

What many members (not just the moderators) are doing, is when someone starts a thread that has been discussed before, they do a search, and then list the previous threads in a post in the new thread.

As for multiple member names... it is against the TOS for one member to hold more than one.

I agree and disagree, I reckon its good that people look at the history and see if their question has been answered. But also I don't see the harm in some people having today the same conversation that someone else had a couple of months ago, if it bores me I just don't contribute, and leave them to it.

This is especially true for nervous new divers or personal matters, where people want to have some personal attention cos they feel or are concerned that their question is a little different.

By The Way, wasn't there a very similar thread to this recently ? Did anyone search the history ?

As fast as some new information comes to light sometimes it may not be your best bet to go and view old post...

Personally I do not take the time to read all the posts, I open the ones that appear interesting to me. I do not mind re-hashing older subjects as many of the folks giving input may not have been on the group when the subject last came up.

No I do not think getting to big is much of a problem but I must agree I am overwhelmed by the number of threads that get posted lately... And that causes me to take less time in reading subject lines... Many good posts are most likely missed by myself and others...

Jeff Lane

Washy once bubbled...

I very much agree - I'm getting sick with the endless debate of "Ooh look how long my hose is"

Yes we all gather it's a more efficient way of diving blah blah blah blah...

There's a similar debate in the UK of who's best PADI or BSAC - who f'n cares?

Let's please debate something else..........

Have ya'll ever stopped to notice, that much like this thread, it is usually the opponents that bring up this particular subject? :confused:

Then when someone responds in defense of it, everyone gets their undies all in a knot...

Thats kinda like poking a dog with a stick then complaining that the dog needs to be put to sleep because it bit you.

Have ya'll ever stopped to notice, that much like this thread, it is usually the opponents that bring up this particular subject?

I have not really payed much attention to it but when it has caught my eye the complaints seemed to stem less from the style of diving but more from the knee jerk answers "I do it because it's DIR" or "I don't do it because it's DIR"

Some folks in my opinion (on both sides of this issue) just do not have a grasp yet of why each technique is done. Without having the experience to really grasp the intent of a technique you can not effectively support or condemn its use.

Jeff Lane

Have you seen the film Dogma ? One nice line it kind of sums it up. I can't remember the exact phrasing but simply put it is 'I would rather people had Ideas rather than Beliefs'.

You can choose to believe that DIR is the way forward or not, but I reckon its healthier to absorb the ideas behind the doctrine and then come up with your own.

In this regard you can never have too many conversations on a subject, as long as they eventually bring out new ideas or perspectives.

James connell once bubbled...

easiest way would be to ban anything that has DIR in the subjet or body:boom:

Or anything by James Connell.

Kaos once bubbled...
One thing that could be done is to send out warning when the subject line is identical to another. Of course, one different word and it doesn't get caught ("Favorite type of fin" vs "Favorite type of fins"), but some duplicates could get avoided that way.

Or people could learn to use the search button.

Back
Top Bottom