Too much fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dustyb

Registered
Reaction score
I just got open water certified and i cant decide on fins. I will be mostly diving the channel islands and will be doing some shore dives in southern california. I can't decide between the apollo bio fin pro and the hollis f1 fins. Im leaning towards to Hollis F1 but im worried its too much fin for a new recreational diver. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I love my Hollis F-1s and don't see any issue with them for recreational dives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is such a thing as "too much fin". Some fins require a bit more leg strength to kick, but you get used to it. I'd go with the Hollis fins, because they will go anywhere you do in your diving -- you would never have to change them, unless you wanted something lighter for travel.

I don't think there is any such thing as "too much fin" for a diver. Unless maybe you go to freediving fins on scuba :) I have the Apollos and love them. I haven't tried the Hollis fins, but I hear they are pretty good. The main differences are the feel of the fins in the water and the ability to do some of the different kicks you might learn in an efficient manner. I can do flutter (modified flutter actually) and helicopter turns very well in the Apollos. I can frog kick and back kick, but it's slow and not very efficient compared to most good solid fins. I would guess the Hollis fins, being a solid design, would be better at the frog and back kicks. As a recreational diver, that might not matter to you. I have 130 dives now, with no intention of tech diving or wreck penetration, so I don't have a desire to change fins or styles of kicking. Others on this board will say you will have every problem up to and including death if you use a split fin like the Apollos, but they are just wrong. So, it's up to you and what you think you might like to get out of a pair of fins.

Also, I can tell you that the Apollos are REALLY comfortable and don't put a lot of stess on your legs. I have never had a cramp or even an uncomfortable rub in my Apollos, and I use them for all my diving from California to the tropics. I can't directly compare to the Hollis fins in the comfort area, of course, so maybe others can chime in.

Mike

"Others on this board will say you will have every problem up to and including death if you use a split fin like the Apollos, but they are just wrong."

including death???

I hated my Mares Avantis for the first 20-30 dives because they killed my shins. Once I got used to them, I was happy I kept them.

I have Mares Avanti Quattros, and AquaLung Slingshots, and I have tried the Hollis F1's The Quattros are a good overall fin but do give your shins a workout. The slingshots on the #2 setting keep up with the F1's but with a lot less legwork. I think I will be getting the F1's though as they are a shorter fin and will fit in my bag better for travel, the slingshots are just too damn long in to fit in my bag.

Many shops allow you to test out in pool to determine how they work. Fit and Comfort is utmost in diving equipment. While Internet advice may be helpful, it is no substitute for trying fins out in pool to determine how they perform for you.

It's not just the size of the fin, but the relative stiffness or flexibility plus the shape that needs to fit you. You do not want a fin that won't give you adequate propulsion, but also you do not want one that will cause you to cramop up, especially in the colder SoCal water. I love split fins, by the way.
DivemasterDennis

Too much fin? Nah. In the tropics I'm frequently scuba diving using Cressi Gara 3000's because I don't bother bringing both free diving and scuba diving fins. No problems whatsoever and air consumption drops like a rock. I hardly have to move at all to get sufficient speed, so no cramps.

However, in cold water, wearing a dry suit and heavy 2x12L doubles I wouldn't consider anything but Jet Fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom