Too much gear? Or standardized setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having a standard config seems to me to promote laziness in preparing for a dive. Instead of thinking through every individual piece of gear you need to bring, it invites you to NOT think through each thing and instead just think "I've got my kit. I'm ready." But, what if you forgot that you took your shears out of your kit for some reason, and forgot to put them back? Or your compass? Or whatever...

A checklist seems like a good idea - if it's comprehensive, covering all types of dives that you do, and you go through it knowing that you won't take everything, but you actually give a thought to each item on the list and whether to take it or not.
You're assuming no checklist or pre-dive checks for standardized gear which is not the case at all. If anything, having one checklist means I'm LESS likely to forget anything since I'm always using the same one.

You're assuming no checklist or pre-dive checks for standardized gear which is not the case at all. If anything, having one checklist means I'm LESS likely to forget anything since I'm always using the same one.

I am not assuming that at all. I'm saying that when you adopt a standard configuration, even if you have a checklist that details it out, it's very easy to lapse into laziness and check off that whole chunk of the checklist at one time with the thought "I've got my kit. Check off that whole section of the list."

It seems like we said the same thing about using a checklist. I said in that post that you quoted that having a checklist seems like a good idea, if it's a comprehensive list that includes all the things you would use for any/all types of dives that you do.

This.

Although, I think we also need to have a little discussion on what constitutes minimum gear and what is "taking extra". I think the standard GUE config is a good baseline

Is taking two backup lights on a reef dive "extra"?. I would have at least my two back up lights on my chest regardless of the dive-maybe to poke around in holes, or whatever.

Typically, the only thing that changes on dives for me is pocket contents and that's mostly the number of spools. In a cave dive I have 2 safeties, plus jumps, plus backup jump. That could easily be 6-8 spools between the two pockets. In OW, the spools get dropped down to 2-3 plus primary reel. There can be small variations but 95% of your gear should be the same from dive to dive.

This.

Although, I think we also need to have a little discussion on what constitutes minimum gear and what is "taking extra". I think the standard GUE config is a good baseline

Is taking two backup lights on a reef dive "extra"?. I would have at least my two back up lights on my chest regardless of the dive-maybe to poke around in holes, or whatever.

Typically, the only thing that changes on dives for me is pocket contents and that's mostly the number of spools. In a cave dive I have 2 safeties, plus jumps, plus backup jump. That could easily be 6-8 spools between the two pockets. In OW, the spools get dropped down to 2-3 plus primary reel. There can be small variations but 95% of your gear should be the same from dive to dive.
Think minimal vs minimum. 2 different concepts.

This.

Is taking two backup lights on a reef dive "extra"?.

Personally, I would say that 2 lights on a daytime reef dive is "extra".

And I would say that doubles and a long hose, on a 40' daytime dive in warm, clear water is also "extra" - at least for most people. But maybe I'm making an incorrect assumption about what the standard GUE config is.

Think minimal vs minimum. 2 different concepts.

So under the minimal concept on a reef dive,

Backup lights and anything more than 1 spool/lift bag combo would be too much?

So under the minimal concept on a reef dive,

Backup lights and anything more than 1 spool/lift bag combo would be too much?
As Stuartv pointed out way above, the minimal approach attempts to minimize the stuff you take. Won't need it? Don't take it.

The "minimum" approach tends to establish a standard list of stuff that you always take. Even if you won't need it. So the minimum approach causes you to take more (a maximum?) amount of stuff.

Minimal minimizes, minimum maximizes.

On a bonaire dock dive I do not need spools or lift bags nor a backup light.

Personally, I would say that 2 lights on a daytime reef dive is "extra".

And I would say that doubles and a long hose, on a 40' daytime dive in warm, clear water is also "extra" - at least for most people. But maybe I'm making an incorrect assumption about what the standard GUE config is.

If I'm not mistaken, GUE distinguishes between rec and tec "standard configurations." The rec standard is a single tank and only one backup light. The long hose is common to both configurations, though in the rec config it can be as short as 5 ft.

Interestingly, a primary light is common to both. There are pics out there of GUE single-tank divers cruising along a coral reef awash in bright daylight holding corded (canister) lights. It seems a bit silly to me. I get it that GUE promotes the use of lights for signaling, but I have yet to see a light bright enough to do that in such bright conditions.

Is taking two backup lights on a reef dive "extra"?
If I'm diving at home and don't have to worry about weight restrictions, my backup light (clipped to my right shoulder D-ring and secured with bike tube rings) isn't an "extra". It's always there, and I don't notice it unless I need to use it. However, if I need it, it's there.

If I'm not mistaken, GUE distinguishes between rec and tec "standard configurations." The rec standard is a single tank and only one backup light. The long hose is common to both configurations, though in the rec config it can be as short as 5 ft.

Interestingly, a primary light is common to both. There are pics out there of GUE single-tank divers cruising along a coral reef awash in bright daylight holding corded (canister) lights. It seems a bit silly to me. I get it that GUE promotes the use of lights for signaling, but I have yet to see a light bright enough to do that in such bright conditions.

A shallow reef dive in bright daylight and warm, clear water? With a single tank, a can light, and a 7' hose? Makes PERFECT sense! Any OOA diver that approaches you will surely know to wait just a moment, please, while you move the light head to your other hand before you deploy the long hose for their not-drowning convenience, right? (that's how they teach that, right?) :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom