Too much gear? Or standardized setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

Can you wear "too much" gear?

On a recent Bonaire dive trip we witnessed a group of "club divers" that seemed to be wearing just about everything possible. To me they looked like an advertisement for buying everything the LDS sold.

In my mind, the more gear you have the more things there are to check and verify and manage and the more opportunity for error or screwup or failure. More gear is more complex.

The flip side could be that these divers have established a standardized setup that they use for all types of diving, regardless of the dive conditions. We also have a standard setup that we use for all dives, but it is fairly minimal since all of our dives are very similar: warm water, great viz, no current. We dive in probably the easiest dive conditions possible, so least amount of gear required. The only changes I make is I use a tank marker light and take a backup light for night dives.

Does it make sense to tailor your gear to the type of dive and leave extra stuff behind? Or wear everything you own?

What type of gear is superfluous on the dives you describe?

Whether I dive wet, in great viz and warm water on a vacation, or I dive dry, in medium to crappy viz and cold water back home, I like to have my light, my compass, my slate and my camera with me. The only thing I might think twice before taking with me when I'm warm water diving is my dSMB, since rental wetsuits don't have pockets to stuff things into.

Yes and no. Everyone has their own way of diving.

When I dive, irrespective of water temperature, I dive with largely the same gear (ignoring thermal protection) : weight belt, BP&W, knife, shears, two torches, DSMB, reel, dive computer and compass. I might add a gopro to that if I want video/stills.

The advantage is that on every dive I know exactly what I have and where it is stowed. Is there any point removing a torch even if I think I don't need it? They are both stowed out the way on the harness so I think not.

One of the guys I dive with has almost everything on his BCD that you could ever use such as a slate, camera etc. Compared to me he is a Christmas tree. Do I think he needs it on most dives? No but it probably makes sense to him as an instructor so he knows it is always on his BCD.

I firmly believe in MEL.....minimal equipment list for the dive at hand.

why would I bring a flashlight down on sunny day dives to 40-50 feet? I also dove once with a pick a buddy whom had two of everything on him....lol...he sank rather quickly.

I think there is a "kit" that should always be available. Much like Flyboy08 said. Probably comes from being a pilot as well before I became a diver. I am used to checklists, required equipment and personal minimums. I also tend to plan as in if something goes wrong the only thing I can count on is what is within arms reach. For that reason I have also been on the receiving end of the Christmas tree comments. I remember when diving in the Dominican Republic comments that I didnt need to have my spare air on a 100' wreck dive and i should just leave it in the locker. Yes at 100' it would have limited use, however if something did go wrong when surrounded by other tourists taking pictures and going every which way i prefer to know I have it as an option to give me an extra moment to help myself or get to my buddy who is chasing a fish with a gopro.

The things I always have on me:
Knife on a hose clip
Sheers with a built in D clip
Computer / Compass (AI)
Backup flashlight (good for signalling / pointing even in shallower dives i find)
Camera on a retracting clip
Marker light as I have one of the water activated sealed battery units rated for like 500 hours attached to my BC and dont think about it

Things I will add when needed:
Spare Air (upgrading this spring to a pony) when deeper than 40-50'
Primary flashlight when deeper than 40-50' or night
SMB and reel if not doing a guided "tour" dive
Bag

On a recent Bonaire dive trip we witnessed a group of "club divers" that seemed to be wearing just about everything possible.

Can you list the items they were wearing?

Can you list the items they were wearing?
I am more interested in the idea of standard gear (regardless of the dive) vs tailoring your gear for each type of dive as opposed to getting into a posing match about what gear is necessary.

One of the posts above introduced the concept of MEL. How many people dive MEL as opposed to a standard gear list?

As an example, I always take my minimal safety kit of a whistle, signal mirror and safety sausage even though I know they will not be required when I dock dive in Bonaire. They are mandated by the LOBS we use and they are now just stuff I wear.

Got it. I just asked because I'm curious as to what items you saw them wearing that struck you as more than was necessary. I mean, was it an SMB? Or a light? A knife? Snorkel? Compass? I guess I am so stuck in minimalist land that I have forgotten what kind of junk some people bring. I mean, did they have wreck reels or something that just seemed out of place for a typical Bonaire shore dive? I'm trying to think of what products are displayed in the dive shop that I would think of as unnecessary or excessive.

I usually carry an SMB and spool, but not on Bonaire shore dives, as I see the risk of being swept away pretty as being low. I definitely find a compass useful on Bonaire, but I would not bring it on every dive elsewhere. I always carry a cutting device, and usually carry a light on daylight dives. The GoPro only comes on dives where we're after something specific, not every dive.

So I suppose I do have a minimal set of standard gear, which I may or may not supplement with one or more other items, most notably the compass and SMB, depending on the dive.

I
why would I bring a flashlight down on sunny day dives to 40-50 feet?

Because you see something swim into a hole in the coral and you want to see what it is. There are dock pockets to check out. Because you see a fish/nudibranch/sponge and you want to some added light to see the colors. Because a cloud passes over the sun and it gets rather drab without it.

Gear is dive dependent. Caves I am carrying 3 lights, cookies arrow, multiple spools/reels and no snorkel or SMB. Reef dive, I am carrying a snorkel,single spool/SMB and one light. Night dive on reef, same as day but add another light. Really depends on the dive as to what I would call required equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom