Too Scuba or not to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm so new I haven't even gotten wet yet. Now here comes the problem. I have enough money to start diving, but a buddy just came in with a new paintball gun and offered to sell it to me. I can't do both. I love paintball but wanted to go diving for the past 6 years. To make matters worse my wife isn't into diving. Hmmm This could be a tuff one.
:confused:

Can you envision yourself participating in paintball activities when you are in your seventies or even your eighties? Quite a few folks are diving at these ages from what I hear. I would say take the dive classes pick up some gear after you are certified and then maybe next year get a paintball gun. That way you can do both.

jbd makes a good point. My husband doesn't dive and never will.I love him and enjoy spending time with him in lots of ways.

Diving I do for me. It's a whole 'nother world down there,whether its freshwater or salt.

The folks I have met diving are a breed unto themselves as well. The "buddy" attitude seems quite prevalent and that is something I enjoy very much. Paintball is a whole different thing entirely I am sure.

Diving ain't cheap...few things worth doing ever are. So don't go whole hog until you try it. But if you can, you should try it.

That is a tough one.My heart goes to scuba cause i love to explore and see new things.Its a great feeling to be underwater.Not to discourage you but remember scuba can be expensive to get into.If you dont buy your own gear you will have to rely on renting gear which can also add up.Im not to sure how much the sport of paintball costs but research the cost of scuba carefully and see if it fits your budget.It would suck to get certified and then not be able to dive cause the cost of renting equipment and getting to your destination.But if you take the plunge i think you wont regret it.

learn scuba

plain and simple

Plain and Simple. Learn to Scuba.

I've taken up scuba for a number of reasons, probably two of the most important are FUN and LEARNING. Learning, almost like continuous education, about the enviroment and skills.

What can you learn about Paintball?

Take up Scuba, you will have no regrets. Get paintball for Christmas.

waterdogs.

Your wife isn't into diving?

Does she have no interest? Is she afraid of something?

Mine started out watching me and afraid of the UW boogie monster. Now she is a good dive buddy and enjoys it almost as much as I do.

One other story. True.

I was in a LDS Saturday when a man his wife and I would guess 4 or 5yo son walked in. He announced he had some gear to sell. He was talking to the owner for a bit when he spotted a SASY unit sitting on a shelf. He started asking questions, changed his mind about getting out of scuba and bought his son a mask. He's going to save his $$ for the SASY. The joy and excitement on his face was great.

Tom

I do both. I like to play paint ball, but SCUBA is what I enjoy most out of the two. Both are fun, both require safty gear as to not harm yourself, paintball required little or no training except reading your manual and understanding CO2 and FPS. SCUBA on the other hand requires lots of training with no end in sight. You need a buddie to play both. Lets see .. thats about all I can think of there.

Equipment for those that don't know much about paintball can be pretty expensive also. A good gun can run you as much as a preformance regulator. The cost of balls run about $90.00 US a case for the not-so-good ones and might last a whole day of playing for 2 people. I have gone though more. Think of paintball guns like your BB and wing setup. You can switch to a short barrel or long barrel depending on your plan of attack. You can put in custom tiggers and bolts. Man there is alot to those guns. I sort of miss paintball, but I jsut can't afford it any more. I still have my gun too. Mybe some Sunday I will go to the local field and shoot a case.

I just wanted to explain a bit on this. But to help promote the sport of SCUBA I would take the course and then when you are on the field playing ball .. tell your friends about your adventures and think of ideas on how to get your paintball gun to fire underwater... wait thats what a spear gun is for (too much death for me)

...unless you try.

I would at least do an intro.

Life is full of alternatives and priorities. If you wanted to learn scuba, I think you should go for it.

Ari :)

They are both expensive. I was an avid baller for several years but all the local fields closed and noone I know except me and the field owner owned thier own equipment so now I don't get to play. In the long run if you play alot of paintball it is more expensive than scuba (If you don't count travel.)

Chad

Back
Top Bottom