Too young to rent a car/truck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, my daughter is graduating college and heading to Bonaire with friends. Too young to rent a car or truck. Thoughts?

- meet someone there and hopefully, sponge a ride?
- boat dives only?
- hitch hike?
- Uber?
- other?

Her boyfriend will be completing his OW on island. Would you say Buddy Dive would be a good place to stay, given this? Anywhere else?

Buddy is a nice place and they rent vehicles, you may want to check to see what their age policy is. If they are still requiring 25yo to rent then as an alternative, I would suggest is Divi Flamingo. Its a short walk to town so getting to other restaurants and shops is much easier than at Buddy. Their house restaurants are good as well. Also, there are a couple of grocery stores within walking distance if needs be. I don't think their house reef is as good but for first timers that shouldn't matter.

The advantage of a place like Buddy Dive, Divi Flamingo or Captain Don’s is the boat divers that they meet will probably be staying at the same place. Great way to strike up a conversation with someone who is also doing shore dives. If they feel comfortable with them then they can check into riding along. Good backup plan is to book boat dives for 2-3 days and plan on doing the house reefs on the others.

I’m guessing, graduating from college this year, that they are 21 years old. I know most places on Bonaire require 23, but it might be worth checking around. Especially with wherever they stay, if rental trucks can be part of the package.

Erik

I found a place that has a min age of 20 to rent a vehicle.
Two other places I found will rent 18 to 23 but require CDW plus pay for all damages.
I can post tomorrow the names of places.

I found a place that has a min age of 20 to rent a vehicle.
Two other places I found will rent 18 to 23 but require CDW plus pay for all damages.
I can post tomorrow the names of places.
Terms & Conditions – Bonaire Rent a Car and Terms & Conditions – Caribe Bonaire has 18 to 23 with conditions.

Terms and conditions | Bonaire Car rental (for short and long term) Belle Car Rental min age is 20

I have no experience with any of these but their are options.

edit: added name of 20 year min rental company

So, my daughter is graduating college and heading to Bonaire with friends. Too young to rent a car or truck. Thoughts?
She competent on a stick shift?

She competent on a stick shift?

For sure!

ctr - 1 (3).jpeg

Both Bonaire car rental and Carib have an Automatic option on one type of pickup, but yes knowing how to drive a stick opens up more options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom