Tools confiscated by Mex. TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got home from PDC/Coz. Had no issues with the Mexican TSA. But leaving San Diego I got the full treatment from the TSA. They took my tiny cresent wrench and allen wrench. Wanted to take the extension arm for my strobe! Said it looked like a club. All these items have been through security over a dozen times. These people are all untrained idiots, the lack of consistency is maddening! I got my camera parts through by demanding to speak to a supervisor. She just had them xray the parts in question (like that showed them anything). OK, rant over.

OK, rant over.

Hey - rant away! There is no end of subjectivity with TSA. Sometimes there's no problem, sometimes there is with the exact same thing. You would think there would be more standardization but if your extension arm is on someone's deadly weapons list you're just screwed. Luckily, you found a supervisor who could figure out how to solve a problem rather than create one. Maybe they do it as a deterrent - the IRS had a similar policy to just randomly audit people to the nth degree so the word would get around. Luckily, that got stopped.

I might have an issue with an underwater video housing I need to carry on for the next trip. It's small but very heavy (don't want to add it to my weight limit for checked) and someone with a big imagination just might think I could use if for some evil purpose. I wonder if there's a way to get it pre-screened before I check my bags just in case I need to repack.

Dandy Don these were two maybe 3'' long end wrenches to asssemble my my regulator. I carried these two wrenches in nov. These wrenches were a full 7 '' , no problem. I cut them down so that ther would be no dought that they were less than 7''. Maybe there are no problem going from usa to mex. but returning may be the problem going through foriegn security before boarding a plane. I disassemble my regulator so that it packs better in my carry on.
Oh, I agree - you were wronged, just as I was over my lighter in Exuma. When you go on an International adventure, it can happen. I support your rant, but little can be done. On a return trip, I will pack some items in checked bags that I may carry-on for the outbound trip just to avoid such.
Just got home from PDC/Coz. Had no issues with the Mexican TSA. But leaving San Diego I got the full treatment from the TSA. They took my tiny cresent wrench and allen wrench. Wanted to take the extension arm for my strobe! Said it looked like a club. All these items have been through security over a dozen times. These people are all untrained idiots, the lack of consistency is maddening! I got my camera parts through by demanding to speak to a supervisor. She just had them xray the parts in question (like that showed them anything). OK, rant over.
Now, that sucks - but you do have recourse in the US. May not be worth the trouble, but if we don't object officially to unfair treatment - it could get worse.

I can take my 19 cf pony in a carry-on as long as the valve is removed. Good battering ram. :eyebrow:

Now, that sucks - but you do have recourse in the US. May not be worth the trouble, but if we don't object officially to unfair treatment - it could get worse.

My fear is rasing too much stink could get me on the list for a "free" Colonoscopy every time I fly, and since that is sereral times a month I'm not going to go there.

DD - It is well known that when in possession of a lighter and finger nail clippers you are a menace. Once the plane was in the air you were probably going lock yourself into the lav do your nails while smoking. All the while your fellow passengers who are coming back with a bit of the revenge are trying keep their sphincter closed tight while dancing in the elise. :D

The only thing consistent about TSA is that there is no consistency. There is a reason for this. Consistency often leads complacency.

Your best bet is to always check one less bag than allowed and get to the airport in plenty of time. Then if they try to say no and try to take something away you step out of line while someone waits for you, go check the items and get your place back. Many airlines will sell you a box to put items in. It also helps to bring the rules for the items you are bring with you.

PS - Coming to an airport near you:

http://crankyflier.com/2009/02/23/tsa-begins-testing-security-without-a-metal-detector

It is already being used at my local airport.

Last edited:
I've found it useful to keep recent copies (usually printed the day before my scheduled travel) of the TSA regs relating to whatever potentially-objectionable items I might have in my carry on. A couple years ago, I met a well-meaning screener who didn't want to let my regulator onto the aircraft because it was "radio-opaque"... she'd recently attended a class and was told "if you put a coin underneath an object and can't see the coin when the item is x-rayed, the item is not allowed on the aircraft." I suspect DHS had received a credible threat of persons attempting to overpower the flight crew by blowing bubbles at them.

But being able to present TSA regs and maintain a calm & helpful demeanor (you might disagree, but I believe these folks are just trying to do their job and do their best) with screeners or their supervisors has usually gotten my items on the aircraft with me. But those are just my experiences. Yours may vary.

My fear is rasing too much stink could get me on the list for a "free" Colonoscopy every time I fly, and since that is sereral times a month I'm not going to go there.

I wish I could think of something like that.:lotsalove:
:D

I have to say, that the Mexican authorities do at times "shop" in your luggage. Before NiMH batteries in our canister lights it was always an issue on whether or not you were going to make it through with the motorcycle batteries that powered the old halogen canister lights. It never failed, they would take the battery, point to the wires and say "bomb, no bomb on plane", and poof your battery ended up in the motorcycle or scooter of that particular agent's toy.

Back
Top Bottom