toothpaste on new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious why masks don't come with instructions to do this. Granted, I've only purchased two masks.

Are there any manufacturers that state not to do this?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

sea vision has instructions not to use toohpaste!!!

That goes for any of the "real" ways to prep a mask for use; only do it to glass! Some "claim" a lighter will do the trick even easier (no rubbing). Soft scrub with a scrubby pad suitable for teflon is the best IMHO; "white" toothpaste with that same scrubby pad is pretty darn good. I have had masks that had a permanent white rim at edge of glass and didn't notice any burning?

Now I use a local plant for shore diving and diluted baby shampoo on boats (cause that's what's there).

If you really don't want it to fog anymore, wash it with Dawn, dry it out, burn it with a lighter, burn it good until black soot is over the entire inner surface. Wash it good with hot water and Dawn.

The silicone skirt is molded at fairly high temps, the lighter will not harm it until and unless you get the glass glowing red, that is a bit too hot.

The "film" that is on the glass is just left over, for lack of a better word, dirt, grunge, silicone, and know telling what else. The flame burns it off.

N

a dm in playa told me that a few days ago, but i know i will screw up if i try that!!!

I've tried soft scrub and tooth paste on my mask and the only thing that worked was the 500psi mask scrub...after that I just use baby shampoo $1 and I have no fogging problems. Maybe it had to do with the low volume and clear lenses, but It was a pain having 90ft viz and your mask fogged up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom