Top 20 wreck dives in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wreck of the Papoose was long thought to be resting upside down in 130 feet of water off Morehead City. However, recent research has definitively proven the tanker drifted for several days before sinking in 200 feet of water off Oregon Inlet. The wreck previously thought to be the Papoose is actually the tanker W.E. Hutton, while the wreck found at the Hutton site is the tanker Ario.

Sounds like sloppy research by someone at Diver magazine?

For my own interest - what are the really "blue chip" wreck dives in North Carolina? One day I will make it up there.

Sounds like sloppy research by someone at Diver magazine?

For my own interest - what are the really "blue chip" wreck dives in North Carolina? One day I will make it up there.

Not really sloppy, but not understanding what is going on. Yes, the "real" Papoose is probably sitting in 200' water, but the wreck known as the Papoose for many years, the one everyone dives, is in 120' water. The dive ops still call that one the Papoose or Papoose/Hutton, and it is the one that is considered worldclass diving. :wink:

As far as what you would consider "blue chip" wreck...
do you mean historic? do you mean good penetration? do you mean lots of growth and fishlife? do you mean sharks?

I think everyone can agree that one of the highlights of the NC coast diving is the u-boats. Morehead City area has the U-352, and up north off Hatteras, there are 2 more u-boats. Though not particularly dramatic visually to most people, they are real WWII history.
Other than those, you might get lots of answers as to which wrecks in area are the best. The Caribsea is popular, as well as the Spar and Schurz and Proteus and Atlas and Cassimir and..... :D

Jlyle, here on SB, wrote a nice trip report here: http://diver.net/bbs/posts002/72000.shtml

robin:D

My Favorite List of WWII Pacific Wrecks I've dived on,
(majority are in Truk Lagoon):

Shinkoku Maru
Fujikawa Maru
San Francisco Maru
Nippo Maru
Hoki Maru
Heian Maru
Kansho Maru
Yamagiri Maru
Kiyosumi Maru
Rio de Janeiro Maru
Aikoku Maru
HMS Hermes Aircraft Carrier
HMAS Perth Light Cruiser
IJN Iro Oiler
IJN Irako Transport
USS Rochester Heavy Cruiser
HIJMS Akitsushima Sea Plane Tender
HIJMS Fumitsuki Destroyer
HIJMS Oite Destroyer
HMS Repulse Battlecruiser
HMS Prince of Wales Battleship
USS Houston Heavy Cruiser

Capital Ships, Transport & Tanker Wrecks still on the wish list:
SS President Coolidge Transport
USS Mississinewa Oiler
Prinz Eugen Heavy Cruiser
USS Saratoga Aircraft Carrier
USS Arkansas Battleship
HIJMS Nagato Battleship
HIJMS Haguro Cruiser
HNLMS De Ruyter Cruiser
HNLMS Java Light Cruiser
HNLMS Kortenaer Light Cruiser
HMS Exeter Heavy Cruiser
USS Lagarto Submarine

Has anyone done 3 or more?
I've got 4. With the exception of the Fujikawa Maru, they are the non-wreck-diver's wrecks, I would guess: the Rhone, Yongala, and Liberty.

I managed one dive on the Bianca C a couple of years ago and would have liked another 1 or 20. As I was planning another dive for the afternoon, my best man/buddy reminded me that I was supposed to be getting married that afternoon. For better or worse (literally), no more dives there, but it sure looked like "more"... (Technically, I was looking in her direction while taking my vows, but don't let the other "her" know that...

I'm not surprised that none of our amazing Great Lakes wrecks made the list. Those folks across the pond just don't appreciate the merits of a nice old wooden schooner!

I'd like to know where these lists are coming from and what the criteria is?

It blows my mind that not one list includes the school bus at Lake Rawlings.

The criteria for my dives was simply the all-around abundance of fish & invertebrate life surrounding the wreck; as well as WWII naval battle history, ship's mechanical, armament & cargo features of the wreck.

The criteria for my dives was simply the all-around abundance of fish & invertebrate life surrounding the wreck; as well as WWII naval battle history, ship's mechanical, armament & cargo features of the wreck.

I understand, but if you ever dived Lake Rawlings and swam through the school bus, you'd find it hard to find anything that even comes close.

I dove the Zenobia in Cyprus last December, day after Christmas in fact. By far the coolest thing I've done in the water yet. It's number 20. I'd love to see what the others are like. Going to hit Guam/Saipan in January for some WWII wrecks. You guys have any recomendations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom