top 3 dive sites in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wesley Travis

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Any suggestions on the best dive sites in Oahu. Also, which dive shops have the best prices?

I have no idea on the dive shops, but the dive sites on Oahu are rather varied and depend on what you are looking for. Most people come to Oahu for the wrecks, the three biggies being the YO-257, Sea Tiger, and Corsair. As for reefs, my favorites are around Hanauma Bay, off the west shore, and outside of Kaneohe Bay.

Just three?

Well if I were to pick my 3 favorites it would be

3) Mahi Shipwreck: A fantastic artificial reef that generally has fantastic water conditions and some amazing critters around it

2) Makaha : You can do this by shore or boat, but either way it's lots of fun and features many natural caverns as well as a plethora of turtles that call it home and occasionally white-tip reef sharks.

1) Shark's Cove: THE shore dive to do, if you arrive during the summer when it is diveable. Entry is relatively easy and there is tons to see both inside the cove and outside: swim to your heart's content. Lots of beautiful natural features, relatively friendly and varied aquatic life and conditions during peak season are almost benign.

Peace,
Greg

I've been quoted good prices at Island Divers Hawaii recently (~$85 for a two-tank morning dive). They've also been running 50% off Groupons recently, though the latest ones seem to be for afternoon dives (shallow dives shared with OW classes).

I don't know if any shops do shore dives, but those are some of the best the island has to offer. You'd probably have to grab a local (like Greg) to show you all the secret spots.

Honestly I really dont think much of the mahi, as wreck dives go.its all caved in on its self. both the sea tiger and the y.o have much more to offer. as for reef dives. by far the best reef dive on the island is fantasy reef. the only problem is getting someone to go out there. Makaha is a great dive. sharks cove and three tables are two awesome shore dives. as for which dive op to use. Im not even going to bite, I will say this, almost all the dive ops here work very hard to make sure the provide the best customer service they can. some have shops some dont some have their own boat some dont. so its all about whats important to you. as for price....are you sure the best price is going to be the best choice? some choices in life should not be based on how low the price is. "This is one of those." people who go the last mile to make your dive experience one to remember do so at a cost, basically, you get what you pay for. good luck.

Well, I'm going to pick 4.

Best Shore Dive is Firehouse area of Pupukea Beach Park

Best Westside Boat Dive is Airplane Canyon (tons of juvi fish and good corals)

Best Townside dive is the YO. Seen so much cool stuff here over the years

Best Hawaii Kai site is Palea Point on a good day.

Gotta be tons more out there...... when someone leaves the island and gives me their boat I will get back to this thread.!

G

It was the dive to Sharks Cove that hooked me back in 1978. From then on, I knew I wanted to be certified someday. Took 35 years, but now I have drank the koolaide.

Well, I'm going to pick 4.

Best Shore Dive is Firehouse area of Pupukea Beach Park

Best Westside Boat Dive is Airplane Canyon (tons of juvi fish and good corals)

Best Townside dive is the YO. Seen so much cool stuff here over the years

Best Hawaii Kai site is Palea Point on a good day.

Gotta be tons more out there...... when someone leaves the island and gives me their boat I will get back to this thread.!

G

Just wanted to highlight it encase someone didn't notice hehehehe

Back
Top Bottom