Top 5 Likes / Dis-Likes on Your Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dislike how the Suunto 4 button computers (D6, D9, Vyper) don't show average depth, a feature present in the Gekko.

Very, Very easy

Sherwood Wisdom 2 with compass and quick disconnect.
dis-likes
1. a 75.00 dollar usb cable that should have cost 20.00
2. software that s---s.
3. when on the surface it tells me I am in 5 feet of water
also
4. it never reads the same air pressure or depth as my other computers or analog gauges
5. on dive no. 25 the fitting on the bottom of the computer came loose ( apparently the folks in Taiwan do not know how to use loctite or a torque wrench )
6. on dives no. 27 and 28, as I dive deeper, the water gets warmer. Hmmmmmmm
7. on one dive I exited the water with more air than I went in with ( I probably shouldn't complain about that one )

2. air integrated

I originally owned an Alladin sport, that I liked very much. What I did not like was Scubapro not telling me I had one of the battery eating models Had I not read about it in another publication, I would have thought I was just getting bad batteries. Even after I finally brought it in to the dealer, they still would not tell me what the problem was. And after the article I read, Scubapro knew damn well what the problem was.

I also use a Suunto Gekko as a back up.
1. large display
2.fairly simple
3. as dependable as an old timex watch

dis-likes

1.BACK LIGHTING ?????

I have nothing to say really other than Thanks for the Thread!!!

My Oceanic Data Plus is so old I don't see much point in listing the few likes and dislikes I've found so far.

TUSA IQ-700

Large Screen
Interface is very intuitive
Replays dive in dive computer
Love battery replacement (after having Oceanic computers)
Display shows numbers largest that I want to see

Dislikes:

Would like a graphic of the dive profile to be available on the dive computer

I'd agree totally on these, plus add a new dislike:

1. The two companies involved in the product.

What you're buying when you buy a Liquivision is a general purpose computer with no software. You license the software separately from a different company and load it into the computer yourself. The most popular (and best) software, and the only choice if you want to run VPM/B, is MultiDeco-X1 from Ross Hemingway/HSS Software. The license agreement says that the software is a license which permits me to "(3)(a) use the program on a single dive computer, and (3)(b) copy the program into ANY compatible dive computer for your own use of the program on the single compatible dive computer. This program, however, may include mechanisms to limit or inhibit copying OTHERWISE. (Emphasis mine)". When you purchase the software license, the email they send you with the key says "If you should need to replace your dive computer, a revised key is available free of charge". I subsequently lost my Liquivision "at sea" and when I asked Ross for a new software key for the new Liquivision unit that I purchased, Ross responded that "We don't normally give free replacements for reasons of miss-fortune (sic).". In later correspondence, he claimed that the license term permitted me to run the installer software on a different PC in the event that I lost my PC and needed to reinstall the software on the same computer (which makes no sense given the language). Despite numerous emails between us, he has been steadfast in both his refusal to issue me a replacement key and his refusal to explain how this license agreement language could have means something other than that the customer has a right to transfer the software license if they "should need to replace your dive computer". I subsequently had to purchase a replacement copy of the software to get a new key.

Oh, and the other company...

My wife's Liquivision's "beeper" doesn't beep. Well it does, but you have to put the unit up against your ear to hear it (extremely faint). For that matter, since she didn't enable any alarms, she didn't even know that it was supposed to beep (it has been this way since new, about six months ago) until she heard my new unit doing it loud and clear. No problem, I think, I've heard excellent things about Liquivision's support of their product (and hopefully, Ross won't make me buy a new license a second time if they replace the unit). I emailed Liquivision and received back email from Emilie Hiob that "every unit is unique, some have louder buzzers than others" and in subsequent email they declined to fix the problem because "the buzz is not a function that is covered by the warranty". Sure enough, if you read their warranty, there are a lot of exclusions, including the buzzer.

If you buy one of these computers, be sure you read the software license from HSS Software ahead of time (actually, on the second thought, don't bother, since THEY won't honor it) and the warranty from Liquivision (to be sure you will be happy with a computer where the parts which aren't under warranty aren't functioning).

Great computer; at least the one of the two that we have that fully works. I will never buy another product from either of these companies again.

Kenneth Adelman

That's pretty amazing ! I've never heard of a product warranty that doesn't cover 100 % of the unit, at least for some reasonable period at least. I'd never knowingly buy a product that had an explicit list of components expressly excluded from warranty....an immediate 'deal-breaker' for me!

Also, I'd never buy a dive computer without OEM software included...too much potential for passing-the-buck if something doesn't work...I demand one single manufacturer be 100% responsible for 100% of the product, from stem-to-stern.

Thanks for sharing...so far, I haven't read any computer reviews on this thread that make me regret my ordering (2) new Atomic Cobalts.....nor any reviews that make me feel as if I've missed out on anything by diving several Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus II's these last few years. I'll freely admit my Cochrans are a little old-fashioned, with rather prehistoric/clunky PC software, and a rather non-intuitive touch-the-metal-contacts-with-a-coin-or-wetted-fingertips programming mode, but I never use the software anyway, don't 'gas-switch' either, and the A.I. transmitters have been extremely reliable, so they work OK for my simple (recreational) needs.

I'd like to see a comment from someone who owns a Suunto Vytec, or a Mares Nemo Wide!

I use a Suunto Vyper at the moment (the older non air integrated version). I don't really dislike anything about it. I found it quite intuitive when I got it, and I like the fact that I can change the battery myself.

***Mike Cotrone (OP): This is a great thread - Thanks!!! ******

We have 2 Suunto Cobras (2008 models - 2+ years old) with compasses.

Overall, I would give this computer a grade of A-

Good, readable display with all needed info (depth, dive time, tank pressure, NDL time remaining).
Nitrox capability.
Great analog compass.
Batteries have lasted 2+ years and are still going strong.
Easily replaceable scratch guard.
Conservative RGBM algorithm.
Good LDS dealer support system.
Pretty rugged construction.
Absolutely NO problems.

Dislikes:

Scratch guard fogs on the surface - makes it hard to read display.
Not very intuitive menu design structure.
Really stiff buttons.
Incomprehensible inch-thick owners manual.
Clunky download cable connector.
You have to download the last 30 dives, even if you just want the last one or two (takes too long).
Cannot delete dives off dive computer.
PC software is adequate but lacks coolness - could be a lot better.
Very Expensive.

Mike,
You can highlight only the dives you wish to download and speed up the process dramatically. I kinda stumbled on this after several years of complete & slow downloads. Also, I find the cobra 2 & 3 with 4 buttons rather than 3 is much more intuitive to work with (no affilliation, I just like my cobra 2)
Steve

Tusa IQ 700
1. Has lasted 240 dives and not needed batteries (yet)
2. it's mine, it's all I know. started with it, I understand it for the most part.
3. easy to read underwater
4. hasn't quit. durable.

dislikes
1. makes buzzing noises sometimes that i have no clue as to what it is. i once thought someone actually had a cell phone underwater when it started, come to find out it was coming from my computer
2. instructions were not that great. - not clear enough if you are a new diver.I
3. not air integrated
4. cover easily scratched and must be taken off to read (on land)
5. new software to upload was not good. went back to original software so that problem solved. love the dive profile in the software.

Mike,
You can highlight only the dives you wish to download and speed up the process dramatically. I kinda stumbled on this after several years of complete & slow downloads. Also, I find the cobra 2 & 3 with 4 buttons rather than 3 is much more intuitive to work with (no affilliation, I just like my cobra 2)
Steve
With my VT3 and using Oceanlog i can select all or hand pick the dives to import. I actually do this regularly since i export from Oceanlog to Diving Log 5 software. Much faster that way.

cresssi Archimedes 2

2.user Replaceable battery
3.3 gas mixes
4.ascent rate
5. value for money

Cons
1. huge
2. pc software is $$$$
3. Back light is poor
4. did i mention big
5. screen guard gets scratched way to easily

Back