Top ten great lakes wreck dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the parameters/categories?

In the technical category, Gunilda would have to make the list just for bing so beautiful and well preserved. The steamship, Wisconsin, and the rail car ferry, Milwaukee, make very challenging technical penetration dives but also offer good advanced non-penetration or short-penetration sport dives. A sport dive, Lady Elgin is, arguably, the most historically significant shipwreck on the Great Lakes.

The best ones that anyone has ever dove are in the private back pockets of folks like Trotter. The top 10 that us mortals know about? That depends on the type of diving you like to do. Personally I think the America is one of my favorite dives even though it's not particularly challenging in any respect. But I've always had a great time on that wreck. It's been good to me.

Gunilda is certainly one. How about the Judge Hart, Windiate, SS Florida, John B. Cowle, Minnedosa, Dunderberg, and why not throw in the Hamilton, and the Scourge.

If you can pick the Hamilton & Scourge then why not the Moral, Edmunds Fitzgerald, HMS Ontario or the Jodry (sp) or the Islander or A.E. Vickery , Keystorm... there are any number of wrecks in the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence spanning many diffrent Eras...perhaps to best narrow it down wood or steel, steam, or sail...

If you can pick the Hamilton & Scourge then why not the Moral, Edmunds Fitzgerald, HMS Ontario or the Jodry (sp) or the Islander or A.E. Vickery , Keystorm... there are any number of wrecks in the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence spanning many diffrent Eras...perhaps to best narrow it down wood or steel, steam, or sail...

Well, I can pick whatever I like, surely. The Morrell is a great wreck... never dived Big Fitz or the Ontario so I cannot comment. The Jodrey is in the St. Lawrence which I would not count as Great Lakes but it is an interesting wreck and if that area is to be included, should be on the list... we were asked for "our lists" and therefore am certain that I do not rank the Vickery and Keystorm, as nice as they are, with the likes of the Windiate et al... but go ahead and include them... were is your list by the way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom