torch on & off mechanism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nautica2706

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am entering the realm of night dive now and would like some feedback about which is better regarding the power mechanism for a torch.

What are the pros and cons of the turning method and also the switch/button type.

what would you use or suggest?

The pros of twist-on activation are that it doesn't create an additional water entry point in the light, as some switches do. It is mechanically very simple and reliable. The downside is that, if you overdo the "twist-off" you can flood the light, and some lights are sensitive to being turned on with pressure, so you have to be careful to find the right place between "will come on without you knowing it at 30 feet" and "will flood at 30 feet".

The pros of switches is that they are generally either on or off, and don't self-activate. The problem with switches is that they are mechnically more complex and therefore, as with anything else exposed to salt water, prone to fail. Switches which penetrate the light shell can cause flooding. Those which don't (as in the magnetic switches) can fail due to misplacement of magnets.

We have tried more backup-type lights in the last six years than I can ever remember. Few were cheap, and every single light we have ever owned with a switch has failed, so I'm back to twist-on lights. The Dorcy Penetrators are inexpensive and have been very reliable, although I have heard some reports of the lens cracking at technical depths.

I've tried both {used to use canister lights, but stopped when my led back-up (UK) lights became more practical and for me did the job just as well}...I found the twist types no more or less reliable than the switch type.... [I've never had a switch fail on my UK's and I use them weekly mostly for cave dives and have had them for years ].....I wear them [switch type] on the back of my hands, because the twist type were a nuisance to use due to the need for both hands...I do attach a twist type to a reel......Redundant 3 lite system....But I've never had either type go bad.....

Thanks for the info guys, so I guess I will be hunting for the twist on as primary (always on) and switch for back up.

the leakage current of the hall-effect switch can't be ignore, but Reed can. at the same time, because they are all controlled by magnet, so the switches are easy to be affected by magnets of other device.

the leakage current of the hall-effect switch can't be ignore, but Reed can.

True ! But after dive I rotate lid and complete separate battery from electrical circuit . For backups I agree is twist of head ( but battery pack must be fixed and not movable by spring ) good but I prefer reed switch ( if you carray backups in DIR style on chest D ring it is possible to accidentlay turn on switch or worse after dive in box can be baterry get empty by accidental turn on ).

Back
Top Bottom