Torn between two regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutch552

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a relatively new diver (40 logged dives) that is ready to upgrade my regulator setup. I am NAUI open water certified and taking a PADI AOW and rescue course this spring. I dive local quarries and travel quite a bit to the carribean. I have decided upon either the Aqualung Legend Supreme ACD or the ScubaPro Mk17/S555 but can't decide between the two. I have dived with both and could not tell a difference at 60 feet, though the mouthpiece on the Legend would have to be changed. Local service is not a problem with LDS's supporting both.

I really like both of these regs, I'm just not sure which one has the advantage over the other if at all. What would some of you more experienced divers recommend to an up and coming SCUBA addict that will take me through NITROX, drysuit diving and more?

Not familiar with the scuba pro, but I know the Legend well and you could not go wrong with it. You need to ask yourself what type of diving you intend to do during your career and these answers will help you make basic decisions about whatever reg you may be looking at at the time.

Cold water diving may lead you in one direction as shallow, warm water diving my lead you in another tech diving in yet another. I suggest you discuss what you plan to do with your diving with someone you know and trust and then ask more questions at a shop that stocks both and other regs. Educate yourself about the styles and options and make and informed decision based on your intent.

In today's high tech world you will find that nearly ever brand has a good quality reg. The biggest difference may come down to price, style or serviceabilty.

well i do like the legend, and i heard so so so many good things about it. but if your LDS sells Atomic consider going for an atomic reg, they are top rated as far as i know and you can get one for about the same or maybe a little higher price as a legend.

and that is my opinion!!

I particularly don't find ScubaLabs helpful at all. I have seen the same gear, only branded differently, scored differently. The most notable was a snorkel test done a few years back.

Here we have unvarnished opinions from the people who dive the products. You just can't buy that.

I have the Aqualung Legend Supreme ACD and I have had no problems with it, in fact I really like it alot. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on the other one or tell you about Nitrox.

Fuzz

If you are looking at drysuit diving (cold water), the Mk 17 is enviromentally sealed. I dive a Mk 17 with a G250HP, and have been thrilled with this setup so far. Only 4 dives on this first stage, 40 degree water temps at no deeper than 30 feet and in muck/ blackwater. Just waiting for the ice to get to central VA. :)

I have no dives with the legend, but recently upgraded first stages from a Mk 18 (not enviro sealed) to a Mk 17.

soudan:
well i do like the legend, and i heard so so so many good things about it. but if your LDS sells Atomic consider going for an atomic reg, they are top rated as far as i know and you can get one for about the same or maybe a little higher price as a legend.

I hear great things about the Atomic line but unfortunately I have no LDS that sells them in my region. ScubaPro, Aqualung, Oceanic and Sherwood are my options locally.

vablackwater:
If you are looking at drysuit diving (cold water), the Mk 17 is enviromentally sealed. I dive a Mk 17 with a G250HP, and have been thrilled with this setup so far. Only 4 dives on this first stage, 40 degree water temps at no deeper than 30 feet and in muck/ blackwater. Just waiting for the ice to get to central VA. :)

I have no dives with the legend, but recently upgraded first stages from a Mk 18 (not enviro sealed) to a Mk 17.
Some new Ledgends come environmentally sealed, the upgrade is available.

vablackwater:
If you are looking at drysuit diving (cold water), the Mk 17 is enviromentally sealed.

I was told the Legend was also environmentally sealed by the LDS that sells them. Is it a different diaphragm design on the Mk17 that lends an advantage to the SP in cold/silty conditions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom