tornadoes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plsander once bubbled...

Or you can go all out and get trained as a weather spotter...

Hey Peter! No kidding! I am very thankfull for all the work trained spotters do all across the country. I know many of them saw some things last weekend that they hope never to see again, thats for sure. I know ours did anyway.

Mark

I agree with UP. The people here in SCUBABoard have touched my life and I certainly feel a kinship to people here. I have made friendships, gained knowledge and shared laughs with you all. To diminish that is unconscionable.

I my prayers go out to those impacted by these storms. I hope our fellow SCUBABoarder's fared well.

Sort of on the same lines, But I was team leader for the State Emergency Service, Western Australia: Stirling Division.
Did a fair bit of "weather watching" whilst I was there.
Dave

clive francis once bubbled...
if you (a state/area) suffer from tornado's why build houses out of wood, have you guys not heard the story of the three pigs and the wolf?
Some folks can barely afford aluminum boxes on wheels.

Peopled died Clive.

clive francis once bubbled...
if you (a state/area) suffer from tornado's why build houses out of wood, have you guys not heard the story of the three pigs and the wolf?

What would you suggest? Brick homes don't fair any better. The only homes I know of that are "tornado-proof" are underground houses.

Jarhead

Jarhead once bubbled...

The only homes I know of that are "tornado-proof" are underground houses.
I dunno, they have found proof that a few hundred years ago, there was a tornado in the midwest that lifted the dirt and exposed bedrock for over a 100 mile path. They have guessed on the Fajita scale it was over a F10.

A bit insensive aren't you?

I was in Hopkinsville a few years back and not even brick buildings could survive.

Many people lost their lives, true, they are in tornado alley but how many buildings are actually tornado proof?

FYI - Actually there are many industries (Insurance & Construction being the biggest) investigating the best ways to build 'Fortified' homes. Although efforts have mostly been targeted at hurricane plagued staes (Florida/the Carolinas) as opposed to 'Tornado Alley' areas.

"Fortified" guidelines in North Carolina are designed to better protect homes primarily against high winds and flooding. Construction features include:

* Non-combustible roof materials that also better withstand high winds;
* Stronger connections tying the roof and walls to the foundation;
* Windows protected by shutters;
* Reinforced entry doors;
* Building site and landscaping techniques that reduce wildfire and flooding vulnerability.

I would venture a guess that as insurance costs increase for homeowners in more disaster prone areas - construction features like these will be required to receive premium discounts.

On a more personal note - as an insurance claims representative some years ago I worked in many areas struck by catastrophe (mostly hurricanes - 1 tornado) up and down the east cost. Pictures on TV and in the paper just don't enough to convey the devestation and randomness of loss suffered by families in these areas. My heart goes out to all of those touched by the recent storms. And I thank God for those that were spared - imagine if tornado sirens had not given warning to all those parents and children in the movie theatre in Van Wert, OH?

I would also encourage each of you living in a potential hurricane or tornado prone area to purchase a weather alert radio for your bedroom. Sirens are just not numerous and/or loud enough to awaken everyone in the middle of the night. It's an inexpensive way to help ensure you and your families safety.

Back
Top Bottom