Torque Wrench source?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aikiguy

Contributor
Reaction score
On the blue parts, not the brown or green parts.
# of dives
50 - 99
I am putting together a reg service kit of tools. Have done a couple of units under the tutelage of a local legend in the field and want to be able to maintain my own.

I was wondering if anyone had a good reasonable priced source for the in pound torque wrenches that they liked using. These are only going to be for the reg kit, I have others for automotive / boat engine work.

OR for that matter also a small ft pound torque wrench.

Thanks,

I like the CDI 3002LDIN dual-scale dial-indicating torque wrench (0-300 in. lb.; 3/8" drive) that I got on Ebay. I paid about $60 incl. shipping for it. I tested it against a torque wrench known to be properly calibrated. It checked out fine. Rebuilt my Apeks regs with it. Seems to work great so far.

Yeah, eBay's your friend. I got a brand new noname for $20 that I calibrated with a bottle of water. Works like a charm.

Yeah, eBay's your friend. I got a brand new noname for $20 that I calibrated with a bottle of water. Works like a charm.
Yup, that would be a better way to find out how accurate the torque wrench is...and map that accuracy across the entire scale of the wrench. I should really do that. I just need to buy a decent scale.

You can calibrate your kitchen scale against the ones at your local supermarket. I've bought a digital 0-5Kg scale that's accurate to a fraction of a %, all for the princely sum of $15. I posted a thread in the DIY section with all the details.

You can calibrate your kitchen scale against the ones at your local supermarket. I've bought a digital 0-5Kg scale that's accurate to a fraction of a %, all for the princely sum of $15. I posted a thread in the DIY section with all the details.
Yes, that method would work great...if one had a kitchen scale. :D
I'll track down your DIY thread when I get the chance. Thanks.

I got the new Sears/Craftsman catalog the other day, and they've started selling Precision torque beam dial wrenches:

http://www.torqwrench.com/

Guaranteed accurate to 2% from 20% - 100% of the range of the wrench. Not cheap by any stretch, but nice stuff. Precision makes a version that goes to 300 in.lbs. with a max torque indicator needle, which works nicely for pretty much everything you'd be torquing on regulators. The lowest torque specs would be below the 20%, so not guaranteed to 2% accuracy, but likely plenty accurate for the purpose.

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom