Touching coz wildlife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No no no. Report ops and divers who do it.

We were accosted by a turtle at Columbia deep the other day though lol. Someone’s been feeding it - it was checking our pockets. LoL

What do you feed a turtle? Curious. Someone taking turtle food. Sounds fishy to me :shakehead:

We were accosted by a turtle at Columbia deep the other day though lol. Someone’s been feeding it - it was checking our pockets. LoL

What do you feed a turtle? Curious. Someone taking turtle food. Sounds fishy to me :shakehead:
Not always intentionally. This diver was planning to eat the lionfish himself. It was not intended for the turtle. But the turtle had other plans...
(This was at the Columbia site)

What happens to the wildlife that eat the lionfish? Don't they get stung? Do they become sick?

I once saw a big grouper try to swallow a speared lionfish and in short order, it spit it back out. The dive group was moving on without me so I wasn't able to observe what happened next. Did the grouper retry? Did the grouper sicken (and possibly die)?

What happens to the wildlife that eat the lionfish? Don't they get stung? Do they become sick?

I once saw a big grouper try to swallow a speared lionfish and in short order, it spit it back out. The dive group was moving on without me so I wasn't able to observe what happened next. Did the grouper retry? Did the grouper sicken (and possibly die)?
The groupers in the Caymans will follow you around waiting for you to spear a lion fish. I've seen one spotting a lion fish and following it so that the DM with the spear could get it for him. They seemed to have zero problems eating them. Remember that in the Indo-Pacific where they live they have predators that eat them, including groupers.

What happens to the wildlife that eat the lionfish? Don't they get stung? Do they become sick? I once saw a big grouper try to swallow a speared lionfish and in short order, it spit it back out. The dive group was moving on without me so I wasn't able to observe what happened next. Did the grouper retry? Did the grouper sicken (and possibly die)?

Mostly they eat them. Dogfish love them and will follow divers looking for them. Groupers, eels, anaeome, sharks will all eat them with apparently no ill effects. But they don't seem inclined to hunt them themselves.

The video of the guide harassing the shark was posted in 2016. I took a look at another video that the same guy posted to youtube at the same time, looks like from the same trip. The rental gear one of the divers was wearing was labeled "Dive with George

So I went and looked at the georges websites. This guy is a fool. He has a small closet office just past casa mission on rosada salas. My friends ran the tequila factory across the street and I used to hang out there a lot. I used to joke I wouldn't let George take me on a free dive trip. He preys on unsuspecting tourists and I would not feel safe diving with him. So if you see the portly gringo that looks outta place and he wants to take you diving or anything run and warn others.

So I went and looked at the georges websites. This guy is a fool. He has a small closet office just past casa mission on rosada salas. My friends ran the tequila factory across the street and I used to hang out there a lot. I used to joke I wouldn't let George take me on a free dive trip. He preys on unsuspecting tourists and I would not feel safe diving with him. So if you see the portly gringo that looks outta place and he wants to take you diving or anything run and warn others.
He’s a gringo???? I’ve never heard of him and I’m
Guessing he doesn’t have his own boat? How long has he had that shop? Have never seen it!

A couple of us have posted videos of her stealing and eating lionfish.

Multiple DMs I know told me they've seen some of the crappier dive op DMs bringing bananas down and feeding her by hand, which has helped turn her into a real pest.

A couple of us have posted videos of her stealing and eating lionfish.

Multiple DMs I know told me they've seen some of the crappier dive op DMs bringing bananas down and feeding her by hand, which has helped turn her into a real pest.

I think this is the main thread for that turtle.

Pez Leon eating turtle

He’s a gringo???? I’ve never heard of him and I’m
Guessing he doesn’t have his own boat? How long has he had that shop? Have never seen it!
I have walked by his shop for several years now on my way to a good dive boat. Walking past with our rebreathers over our shoulders he calls out, "hey want to go diving?" Well duh.

Back
Top Bottom