Tough Lesson to learn, I'm not an instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"That drama wih my friend was the only time I went down to 175 and I admit it was too deep, too risky and foolish. It is what happened. Deal with it"

So was it 250' or 175' ? And no, Never been close to 300' never even made 200' Gone to 150'/170' a very few times " with doubles and a pony " 99% of my diving has been in the 20/80' range with most in the middle 40'... Sorry I miss read the 600' story... You can't change the laws of toxic oxygen and Nitrogen narcosis... And then you need to look at air consumption of a new diver ( can suck 3000psi in 30min) and air volume at depth... The numbers just don't add up... There are a lot of tec divers on this board that know " WAY MORE " then me... I'd love to have them run the numbers... I'm WAY to lazy to do all the math on paper with tables, When they got programs that will do it in seconds...

Now if you said you were at 60' and he got down to 90' or 100' then the story works on paper.... :wink:

Jim....

Oh...And welcome to scubaboard..... It's a fun place....

Are you saying its impossible for one of them to have survived a bounce dive to ~250 and the other a bounce to 175? There are threads here on SB stating that people do bounces to those kinds of depths and survive: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...251-ok-bounce-dive-220-fsw-4.html#post4873769

Not that I think this is a good idea. I wouldn't do it if you paid me. I just think arbitrarily calling him a liar requires you call a lot more people here on SB liars.

I think people really aren't paying attention to the story as written. The "student" went to 250, and was retrieved. This is possible if the descent to 250 was at the beginning of the dive, and the retrieval was very prompt. The depth of the wall was irrelevant, except in that it permitted the student to get deeper than was even remotely safe.

These are good tales, and this thread might have gone very differently had it been entitled, "Share how you screwed up trying to teach someone to dive."

Are you saying its impossible for one of them to have survived a bounce dive to ~250 and the other a bounce to 175? There are threads here on SB stating that people do bounces to those kinds of depths and survive: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...251-ok-bounce-dive-220-fsw-4.html#post4873769

Not that I think this is a good idea. I wouldn't do it if you paid me. I just think arbitrarily calling him a liar requires you call a lot more people here on SB liars.

NO..... Not a liar..... Facts way over stated.... And I'll leave it at that.... :wink:

Jim...

So is "teaching" your friend how to dive any worse than the diver who lets his kid, buddy, wife, etc. breathe off his octo while he is on scuba? Just hearing stories about both terrifies me.

So is "teaching" your friend how to dive any worse than the diver who lets his kid, buddy, wife, etc. breathe off his octo while he is on scuba? Just hearing stories about both terrifies me.
Can't we just agree that they're both really terrible ideas? But I'll give a tentative nod towards "teaching" being worse, mainly because anyone on your oct is a) not going to sink more than you do, b) always within grasping range. Someone on your oct isn't going to be found facedown 40m deeper because you were distracted. Then again, if you're such a dunce, you'll probably end up ripping the oct out of their mouth with a sudden move sooner or later.

There was a tragic incidence happened in HK several yrs ago. Two twin brothers , one was certified while the other wasn't, went out diving privately. Something happened during the dive and the non-certified twin drown!!!!

I sure hope someone is just punking everyone.

If not, good luck with the lawsuits. Very sorry about yout friends.

I call BULL$hit..... Just Saying..... No way a Student gets to 250 ft and you see him.... What depth were you at ?

Jim...

That thought crossed my mind too. typical viz around the coast of Oregon is about 30ft.

I'm thinking 100% troll. I even checked the date of the OP to see if it was posted on April 1st.

R..

These are good tales, and this thread might have gone very differently had it been entitled, "Share how you screwed up trying to teach someone to dive."

Think this was the intention, and the incidents were many years in the past. Its all about not stepping outside your bounds.

If he had closed the post with: "XX years later, after continuing my training to (insert certification), it really became apparent the mistakes I had made... DON"T MAKE MY MISTAKES!"

it all might have gone in a different direction. OP, thanks for the reminder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom