• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Tough love for the industry's lithium addiction

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by 2airishuman, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Russjstewart

Russjstewart Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hi Popgun Pete, can I please ask where you got the nitecore charger from.

Thanks

2. Popgun Pete

Popgun Pete Barracuda

Attached Files:

3. chris kippax

chris kippax Divemaster

4. Popgun Pete

Popgun Pete Barracuda

I am pretty sure all my "Ultrafire" batteries were fakes, at that time a year or so back when my first problems were appearing I read an article concerning this counterfeit situation and even an eBay site selling "Ultrafire" battery skins to rebirth cells reclaimed from laptop batteries and pass them off as the real thing. If you check the "Ultrafire" website then you will see a warning about fakes being about, a bit late bolting the door after the horse has gone. By the way these rechargeable batteries must have vents!

5. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

It's amazing that someone would counterfeit a brand that nobody wanted to buy in the first place, not when there is Sanyo/Panasonic out there. (Mine were "free" with flashlights I bought.)

6. Popgun Pete

Popgun Pete Barracuda

All comes down to the dollars at their end that they are saving, items were purchased via eBay, Gearbest and CesDeals (previously NewFrog) who are front-enders for a bunch of Asian warehouses and stores, somewhat like Chinese versions of Amazon and rivals to AliExpress. You can get refunds and items replaced, but mainly for a faulty product and not things like batteries and usually you need to send a short video. Have had to do it twice, once for a busted watch, its second hand swung around like a pendulum, and for a faulty USB stick (64 GB) that failed to work as soon as it was plugged in. The "Ultrafire" flashlights were not too bad, they were good enough that they were cloned by other Chinese brands as "Probe Shiny" and "Skywolfeye" that get slapped on many look-alike clones.
    Ultrafire Fake.jpg

7. Russjstewart

Russjstewart Barracuda

8. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

So why not stick to Panasonic Eneloops, like decent people do?

9. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

Eneloops are great for TV remotes and such: low self-discharge, low drain, low capacity. The ones that really blow up are Lipo: they use organic solvent for electrolyte (which someone decided to call a polymer, hence "po"). Consider a sealed canister full of organic solvent, that gets heated up past the solvent's boiling point.

Edit: I went looking and got distracted. Looks like what makes them better than eneloops is exactly what makes them blow up: you can pull many more volt-amps out much faster. Also they're lighter and smaller.

10. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

I use Eneloops in my Untova flash. They have enough juice for 2 dives, maybe more. But I have to recharge my camera's battery after 2 dives anyway. I use 6xAAA in my torch. For most trips where I only do 1-2 night dives and maybe illuminate a grotto once or twice on a day dive one set of AAA's is enough. If I go to Bonaire or Curacao where I do night dives daily I replace the batteries once. So why bother with 18650's?