Tourist dies in New Caledonia during a "Discovery Scuba" dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does ONE drown while wearing a BCD?
Especially a vest style used by nearly all shops for rental and teaching purposes.

How does ONE drown while wearing a BCD?
Especially a vest style used by nearly all shops for rental and teaching purposes.
It's too easy sadly, many losses happen on the surface or after surfacing. Bodies found with weights still on. People get injured and/or panic when caca happens. Never stop practicing your safety & recovery drills. Few divers have ever ditched weights after OW or orally inflated BC - so in an emergency may blow it. Hoses come loose, I had a fitting come loose once, big waves surprise you, etc. Also good to keep the reg in your mouth and breathing until well onto the boat; I usually sit down to ungrear still breathing my reg. I see divers spit their regs out on surface, ill prepared for waves or emergencies.

Well let's see...
15/33 + 1 = ~1.5

So yes, holding your breath from 15ft, your lungs would attempt to expand to 1.5x their normal size.

You can embolize in 4ft of water...

Oh, lung, yes...

I was thinking brain...

Actually yes, I did tests and filling my lungs brings discomfort
with only 1ft ascent @ 30FFW...

But is it call a lung embolism? I though it was called something else...

I love the line option for people who are repeat DSDers.

Had a woman turn up once who described herself as a "professional try diver". She point blank refused to listen to any of the briefing, complained about having to demonstrate the skills and by the time she'd got on the boat was in such a state she couldnt actually dive. I really hate people like that.

Actually yes, I did tests and filling my lungs brings discomfort
with only 1ft ascent @ 30FFW...

PLEASE tell me this is a joke and you didn't really try something as stupid at this ?!

PLEASE tell me this is a joke and you didn't really try something as stupid at this ?!

I was holding on to a fixed object and had complete control
over my depth.

What I wanted to know is identify the sensation of limited
over expansion so as to recognize it during a panic or stress.

I am sorry that you think being prepared for anything is stupid.

MG

I was holding on to a fixed object and had complete control
over my depth.

What I wanted to know is identify the sensation of limited
over expansion so as to recognize it during a panic or stress.

I am sorry that you think being prepared for anything is stupid.

MG

I very much doubt that recognizing the sensation of overexpansion is going to help reduce panic or stress...
Do you also practise getting bent so that in case it happens unexpectedly, you know what it feels like?

While you may actually not have been in great danger during your little "test", I don't think it makes sense at all.

As for the embolism - it results from air entering your blood stream, which may end up in your brain - not from your brain over-expanding...

And a little quote from the wikipedia site you linked to:

"Lung damage
[...] As the lungs do not sense pain when over-expanded, the diver receives no warning to prevent the injury."

So much for your tests.

How does ONE drown while wearing a BCD?Especially a vest style used by nearly all shops for rental and teaching purposes.
I've had a rear dump valve come unscrewed while in the water (twice). When this happens, the BC doesn't hold air, no matter how much you use the power inflater. In my case, as a trained diver, I was able to take control of the situation and get it solved. However, a DSD diver who just expects stuff to work (and probably doesn't know how it works anyway) is much more likely to panic, forget to ditch weights, and sit there and struggle, wearing himself out as he gets somewhat dragged under the surface.

Also, BC is not a life jacket. A life jack is designed to keep your head out of the water - a BC, not necessarily (and probably not). So, if you are unconscious at the surface for whatever reason, there's a good chance your face could be in the water and you simply drown while unconscious, even with an inflated BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom