Tourist drowns during reef snorkelling cruise in Queensland, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree Tortuga. There is always something to be learned from these incidents even if it is "just medical" a very large percentage of the fatalities processed by DAN are medical related.
The act of entering an aquatic environment places strains on your body that are not experienced in a non aaquatic situation and can trigger otherwise dormant conditions.

If nothing else these incidents remind us to be vigilant of those around us. Who is to say that this woman may not have been able to be revived if someone had witnessed her having difficulties rather than discovering her some time later when it was all too late. What about the lesson that we should all be aware that cardiac causes acount for a large percantage of diving (and snorkelling incidents) and that particularly those of us over 40 should have regular medicals that include cardiac checks.

There are always lessons to be learned and information to be gained from sharing of information about these incidents - and as for it being non diving... personally I consider snorkelling to be a form of diving and a part of many of my scuba dives.

Eleven years ago, while on our honeymoon in Cancun, I took my wife scuba diving and snorkelling as well. The snorkelling event was part of a tour through the mangroves each couple using their own little "speed boats". You would take the boats outside of the mangroves and then you would go out snorkelling in open water at a depth of 12' to 15'. I was aggravated by the fact that the guides forced us to use flotation vests. What is the point of snorkelling if you can't descend!? I wore my vest to get through the guides and into the water. Once there I gave mine to my wife and got to snorkelling the way it should be. At the time I thought the idea of a snorkelling vest was ludicrous and if you need to have one, you should only get exposed to water in the shower and nowhere else -- beware of tubs, they can also be dangerous.

This lady was wearing a noodle and a wetsuit and apparently no weights. She was in a guided group with several people close enough to signal audibly and visually. People thought she was fine until they had to go over to touch her. I'm having a hard time trying to imagine a "safer" set of conditions. What else could be done? Hook tourists to a complete set of remotely monitored biometric sensors? Maybe we should just stay in a couch and watch video gathered through ROVs because getting in the water is dangerous.

With all due respect to the deceased (may she rest in peace), we're all going to croak up sooner or later. Being healthy is simply dying at the slowest rate possible. It seems that it was just her turn. Apparently she died a peaceful death, or at least one where no one close by noticed any signs of distress or struggle. I can think of many more less than pleasant ways to depart from this world.

Fair enough. If you look at it that way, there's probably something to be reminded of every time someone dies, whether it's to update your CPR certification or don't eat too many Big Macs or wear a seatbelt. You can even put snorkelling in your logbook if you want, it's still a semi-free country. Some people like to log pool dives too

Having spent time as lifeguard (decades ago....:eyebrow:), the quiet ones made me more attentive. I think Hollywood has lulled people into thinking a drowning victim hollers for help (usually absent due to laryngospasms), waves and splashes (my experience was they just quietly slipped under).

This (above) is one reason why you may hear of a child drowning while surrounded by adults. Death comes quietly......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom