Train wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were 2 seperate trains that left the tracks in the Delaware Water Gap in PA. One box car was carrying empty Miller beer bottles in it. I was lucky enough to find one. Depth @ 12' , visibilty 2', good current

Jim Perez:
I dove the wreck in August of this year and Saturday 9/25/04. It is a must see.

Which boat did you go out on? I assume that only a few people know the location.
BR

Private boat, and yes not too many people have the "exact" numbers,though they can be found by careful detective work with the available info. the site has been officially "arrested" so its a "no souvenirs" dive but still pretty cool for a small group to see, there is talk of actually raising them! going on. that i would be quite interesting

texdiveguy:
I noticed that on Monday 9/20 on Deep Sea Detectives they go off the Jersey coast to dive a couple of old train engines in 90'. Has anyone done a dive like this involving trains??

It's the wreck of the Arundo ,

http://www.wahoo2001.com/wrecks/arundo.htm

,a regular dive for the North East crowd.

IIRC (dying to go, but never been), it was torpedoed during WW2.

One locomotive is on the deck, one in the sand, unless there was a recent change.

Being a railfan and a steam locomotive fireman is my other sociopathic deviance,
so this resource is at hand:

http://nt1.foothill.net/rumorweb/

Might find a sunken wreck or two in your neck of the woods.

Googling "sunken locomotives" brings up a fair batch.

Hey Texdiveguy,
I've got one for you, the SS Thistlegorm in the Red Sea. It was a cargo ship sunk by the Germans in WWII.
Not only is it a great "wreck dive", the ship had two locomotives on it along with a water tanker and a tender car. When the bomb hit the ship, the two locomotives broke away and lie on either side of the wreck but the tanker and tender stayed lashed to the deck of the ship. The tanker is somewhat collapsed from the pressure of the water but is still recognizable.
Furthermore, inside the holds of the ship were bedford trucks and in the back of the trucks were motorcycles! It's a great dive with a max depth of about 98 ft. I'm attaching a url so you can go and read about this wreck and see some photos.
Come on over to Egypt one of these days and let's do the Thistlegorm.

http://www.touregypt.net/vdc/Thistle.htm

Regards,
n2thebluec

PNW divers’s-

I’ve heard rumors of a train wreck in Lake Whatcom near Bellingham Washington, but I have yet to find a reliable source that has specific directions. The only consensus is that it’s pretty deep around 200 ffw or so. If any of you have heard of such a thing if you could enlighten me that would be great.

JUMBO

jumbo:
PNW divers’s-

I’ve heard rumors of a train wreck in Lake Whatcom near Bellingham Washington, but I have yet to find a reliable source that has specific directions. The only consensus is that it’s pretty deep around 200 ffw or so. If any of you have heard of such a thing if you could enlighten me that would be great.

JUMBO

I'll see if I can find it- it was a railroad that crossed a lake up there, they had barges for the cars, like a ferry. There was a sudden storm, and the ferry foundered and the train cars rolled off. It was recently re-discovered in the mid 1990's (IIRC), and your depth is right, although I can't remember which particular lake. IIRC, the wreck/sinking occured early in the century.

jumbo:
PNW divers’s-

JUMBO

http://nt1.foothill.net/rumorweb/

Listings / Washington / 0-4-0T and Train
0-4-0T and Train
Type: 0-4-0T and Train
Relative Area: Lake Washington
Disposition: Sunk
No Available Image
Additional Information
Description from Underwater Atmospheric Systems, Inc."

"The train belonged to the Seattle Coal & Transportation Company, one of the early local business enterprises that succeeded in putting Seattle and the eastside on the map. In the fall of 1863, surveyor Edwin Richardson discovered coal beside a stream later named Coal Creek. Wagons hauled sacks of coal down to the lake where it was transported to the west shore by sail boat, rowboat, or Indian canoe. Six weeks later, prospectors discovered a richer coal seam south of the Creek at a place called Newcastle, named after the famous English mining town. To bring the coal form Newcastle to Seattle, the company constructed a cumbersome system of tramways and barges to haul trains of iron-wheeled wooden cars. Each cart was capable of carrying two tons of coal from the mines to bunkers on the Seattle waterfront. In January 1875, the sternwheeler Chehalis was rounding the northwest point of Mercer Island when a gale blowing from the south tipped the barge it was towing and sent 18 cars plunging into the lake. They remain where they sank, well preserved in 200 feet of water, many of them upright and still carrying their cargoes of coal. "

Click Here to read a newspaper article on this train.

There is artificial reefs using old NYC Subway cars off the Jersey Coast as well. Check out New Jersey Scuba Diver under "Artificial Reefs".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom