Trainer killed at Seaworld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds nice, but I don't think that's true.

Right now there are around 7 billion people on the earth. 10 years ago there were around 6 billion. Lets pretend everyone was eating in moderation 10 years ago and ocean fishing was sustainable then (not true, but let's pretend). For ocean fishing to be sustainable now, 10 years later with 1 billion more people, we each have to be eating ~15% less. Each person's 'share' will keep going down as world population goes up and up.

As for why countries can't just cut back to a level that is sustainable for everyone-
Tragedy of the commons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, I think it is possible, but certainly 1) prices would go (way) up, 2) many fish species would need to recover by not being consumed at all and 3) fish would have to be a smaller part of the diet as opposed to a massive part for some people. There are many nuances though, and you are right about world population growth and resource limitations. But then again, the increase in resource usage effects not just seafood.

Well, a possible solution is to eat farmed tuna. I know the Australians are successful in raising them. But the Japanese seem to prefer the taste of wild tuna.

Interesting note, this thread is about the Sea World Trainer that got killed by a Killer Whale...and it turned into a thread on another topic.

Lock Washer

Interesting note, this thread is about the Sea World Trainer that got killed by a Killer Whale...and it turned into a thread on another topic.

Lock Washer

The thread is still about one group of people who want to tell another group of people what they can and can't do with something that lives in the ocean.

Split the topic into another thread so it doesn't go off topic

I think someone already did. Anyway, haven't seen any more news stories about the Killer Whale incident at Sea World.

Lock Washer

Back
Top Bottom