Training on the calendar! Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As cave divers, we castigate people for going in caves without proper training... And here is a guy who really takes an almost textbook approach (except for his initial number of dives)... He took a separate class to learn SM, from an instructor all but universally admired, and he doesn't go zero-to-hero route, he just gets certified to intro. What is the problem? I agree with Jim - if Edd thinks he is ready, I'm sure as heck going to trust he is, and would feel safer diving with him than plenty of others who have been cave diving for years.

Congrats on your passes Aotus... I hope you enjoy your well-earned cert.

Last edited:
what a strange thread i stumbled on to. guy takes 6 days to become intro certified. what's so bad about that? this is a day longer than GUE would take to train him to a similar level.
the people in this thread that struggled to accomplish as much in more time should look more to themselves than to this guy (who has been nothing but nice the entire time).

as others have said, be sure to tell Edd you think his training is subpar.

what a strange thread i stumbled on to. guy takes 6 days to become intro certified. what's so bad about that? this is a day longer than GUE would take to train him to a similar level.
the people in this thread that struggled to accomplish as much in more time should look more to themselves than to this guy (who has been nothing but nice the entire time).

as others have said, be sure to tell Edd you think his training is subpar.

He took 6 days to complete Overhead Sidemount, Cavern and Intro. Three classes. I never mentioned Edd's instruction being poor. Just the meat grinder churning out shake and bake divers with nearly zero experience in diving let alone experience between certification levels.

Gue doesn't even have a cavern but somehow that's ok? Get it together man.

They also require 100 open water dives as a prerequisite.

Gue doesn't even have a cavern but somehow that's ok? Get it together man.

Have you looked at the curriculum for overhead side mount? It's pretty close to cavern's curriculum. It has a lot of the same skills, so when you are learning one you are learning the other.

If you go to Cave Adventurers, they have a big sign on the outside wall with a logo of a sidemounted diver in perfect trim, they way you dive in a cave. It is a drawing made from an actual photograph of an actual diver holding perfect horizontal trim, what you expect from a cave trained diver.

The picture was taken when that diver was doing one of his OW certification dives--I think it was his second, but I could be wrong. Ask him--he works there now.

He took 6 days to complete Overhead Sidemount, Cavern and Intro. Three classes. I never mentioned Edd's instruction being poor. Just the meat grinder churning out shake and bake divers with nearly zero experience in diving let alone experience between certification levels.

I typically agree with your posts and find myself puzzled in this thread. Generally speaking, would I prefer someone have a little more experience before going into the overhead? Yes of course. But there are few instructors I'd trust more than Edd to be able to judge whether someone is ready. And there are plenty of divers with hundreds of dives who don't understand the level of respect the overhead environment requires. One thing I do know, is Edd has no qualms about holding on to cards/certs until people have earned them. So again, my congrats go to the OP for earning his certs!

I was diving at Ginnie yesterday and knew one team member of a two man team, I talked to them briefly as they were getting dressed to make a dive, both in widemount. We made a 90 minute dive and as we were exiting at the Park Bench they had just installed a jump onto the Bone Line.

The bottom was kicked up badly, the visibility was cut way more than in half. I did not see "why" & exactly "how" it happened I can only surmise one or both of them were flopping around on the bottom. :dork2: At least one of the guys has been cave diving for a few years, no idea how many cave dives he has made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom