Training Recommendations for NOVA/DC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillyMcFly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I live in Falls Church and would like to get OW certified. Could anyone recommend a great dive shop for learning? I would prefer a course where students can receive some individual attention. A longer course would be preferable than a weekend crash course. If you have any recommendations I would be grateful.

Hi,

I live in Falls Church and would like to get OW certified. Could anyone recommend a great dive shop for learning? I would prefer a course where students can receive some individual attention. A longer course would be preferable than a weekend crash course. If you have any recommendations I would be grateful.

Most of the local dive shops offer good OW training. Two suggestions to evaluate your choices:

1. Speak with the instructor directly and gauge your comfort with him/her and his/her ability to effectively communicate the material to you. It's not the shop or the agency; it's solely about your comfort with the instructor.

2. Ask for a complete list of all charges that you will pay, including any optional ones and the fee to process your cert. with the agency. Many shops advertise a low price, then hit you for add-ons like rentals, books, DVDs, cert. registration, etc. Also don't sign up with a shop that requires you to buy all equipment from them.

At this stage, I'd try to borrow mask. fins, snorkel to get started. A significant number of basic students get into the pool and decide that scuba isn't for them, so minimize your initial investment. Everything else should be provided by the dive shop on a rental basis and included in the base cost or clearly broken out as an additional charge at the time you sign up. Be clear about whether you can use borrowed stuff or if you must buy from the shop. In the latter case, walk away. Many shops will say that you can used borrowed stuff subject to their approval, which is fine if they are reasonable about approval. In some cases you find out that nothing you bring in is acceptable and you end up being forced to buy gear from them at the last minute. Be aware that new diver gear purchases are a major source of revenue for dive shops and they will try to get you to buy everything before training. IMHO that's a mistake for a new diver. The most you should buy initially is mask, fins & boots and snorkel if you can't borrow them.

Be advised that some snorkel gear is not suitable for diving, so the shop may have a basis for rejection. Get this cleared up before you sign up. Bring the stuff in for approval BY THE INSTRUCTOR before you sign up and give them $$$.

Personally I use American Watersports in Falls Church, but their course is a weekend plus two nights in the pool to get you ready for open water cert. dives. Most new divers demand a compressed course which is fine IF you thoroughly study the material beforehand and complete all the workbooks. The material isn't that difficult if you're prepared. The key to the course is the amount of time that you spend in the pool doing skills training. Don't get rushed through that phase, or find an instructor willing to work with you until you're comfortable with all skills.

I am not an instructor, but am very familiar with the business side of the dive business and the tricks some shops use on their new students to enhance revenue.

PM me if you want more info or have any questions.

"The Dive Shop" in Fairfax has a good program. It normally runs for 5 evenings, with a weekend checkout. There good people, and teach a good class.

Sterling Silver Scuba is a little farther out, but small classes and good folks. Here is the link:

Sterling Silver Scuba

Last edited:
Adventure Scuba in Chantilly has both 1 weekend(which you didn't want) and Thursday Night classes. They teach NAUI, PADI, and SDI. Including doing most of the academic work on line if desired.

SCUBA, Washington D.C., Northern Virginia, Maryland, SCUBA diving lessons, NAUI, PADI, YMCA, certification ;Adventure Scuba Company: Scuba Equipment Sales, Service, Travel and Training for Fairfax, Northern Virginia and the DC Metro Area

Thanks for all your good advice. I think I'm going to try Adventure in Chantilly as this has come highly recommended from several sources.

Hope to be underwater soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom