Training Standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elzaar

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just joined this board and am happy to see there is a forum for PSD. I'm a sergeant with a large metro agency Marine/Dive Unit. We are in the process of trying to develop a written performance standard, skills test, whatever you want to call it. I'm curious what other agencies are doing as far as skills evaluation and how frequent it is performed?

Thanks!

Welcome Elzaar!
We are a small metro Fire Dept in Maine who are trying to develop the same basic type of unit & Standards. Although we have a core of experienced divers, there were not enough to deploy a full team response. If you check out the thread for :
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pu...ue-diver-certification-route-way-better.html;
it will allow you to follow the discussion as to how we hope to proceed. Good Luck and safe diving.
Ltjohnbfd - John P

Thanks for the responses.

We've been looking at IADRS guidelines as a starting point. I followed the FD Rescue Diver link and it kind of goes along with what we are working on ... PADI is a decent start, but not in-depth enough. We're currently using Dive Resue and NOAA for training, but we're trying to develop a specific checklist for skills. IADRS looks like the best route so far.

I am a member of a very active 30 member Public Safety Dive Team in south Florida. We use Dive Rescue International for our cert's. All our divers are certified as DR 1 as a minimum. Some of our divers have progressed to DR 2. We have 2 PSSI's on our team certified by Dive Rescue International (I am one). In my opinion civilian certification agencies do not have the depth of experience needed to conduct this very specialized training. If you analize diving accidents among public safety divers I think you will find that most of them happen during training. Think about that!

In addition to the above we also have developed Standard Operating Proceedures. Our minimum staffing for a dive call is; one dive master, one diver down, one safety diver, and one line tender. As a mission progresses on scene divers rotate through the different positions except for the dive master.

Hope this helps, Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom