Training time in Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do the skill on land. We do the skill in open water. We do the skill in the cavern. We do the skill in the cave. This is my progression from Cavern to Full Cave.

We haven’t done a lost line drill in a cave until we have first done it on land and in a cavern.

Before you mock me, remember that every single one of my students are still alive.

Cave divers, how much training happened outside the cave in your course? UTD teaches overhead protocols course. Every one is working outside the cave first then they do everything inside it. Is that how cave training is normally done? Is that helpful?

At the time, when I took UTD's overhead protocols, OHP (2012), it was the pre-cursor class a diver took before selecting whether they wished to pursue Cave and/or Wreck training. I combined OHP with UTD Cave 1 which in theory would be similar (5-6 days) in length to GUE's Cave 1 (someone will correct me if I'm wrong here).

It was a multi-day course covering reel/line management, no vis scenarios, compounding failures to along with continued opportunity to improve one's trim and buoyancy while dealing with increasing amounts of task loading in an open water (and dry-land) environment. At one point during the class, the failures progressed to air sharing from a single regulator while maintaining the protocols necessary to dive in an overhead environment.

No certification was given, just the ability to continue on to either a UTD cave or wreck course.

Whether you agree with it or not, not everyone is interested in diving caves and there are those (not a myth) that are only interested in wrecks (disclaimer: I dive both). This class at the time (no idea now), provided an excellent opportunity for students to be challenged without some of the potential limitations (depth, temperature, seas, etc) of diving on wrecks.

Whether is was my instructor or the class, or my skills in the water at that time or a combination of three, to this day, it was one of the most beneficial courses I've taken.

1 dive at the beginning of the cavern class. Then moved inside the cavern/cave.

Besides that, before any trip that will include some cave diving, I do one or two practice dives in a quarry (laying lines and navigation, following lines in simulated no viz… ). Just to refresh muscle memory.

I took it through iantd and for cavern land drills were first, then open water drills on a line circuit, then cavern. For cave we did some on land but mostly went straight into cave after some discussion at the surface.
My wife just got her cave 1 with raid and I believe every skill was done in open water before it was done in the cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom